View Single Post
Old 09-14-2020, 10:17 AM   #49
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
If readers supported it, I think the ePub 3 spec was working towards incorporating multi-media.

Personally, I'd rather the ePub consortium concentrated on improving the typography support, and left audio-visual media with text to another format.
Also most physical ereaders only support non-multimedia aspects of epub3. Is there more than one Android app with full epub 3?

Agree totally. The epub3 seems to be to support fixed layout (better done by a PDF for more people) and multimedia, which is better supported by app engines / multimedia authoring.

I'd have rather have seen the epub people support client side image maps (really simple HTML) and sections of the book only accessible via links.

I can't see the point at all of expanding epub to fixed layout or multimedia as neither of those work on eink and fixed layout needs a 10" or larger tablet or PC, in which case PDFs are better for fixed and multimedia is trivial.

As an experiment I plan to load up an early 1990s CD on the tablet as a file in Flash, running on DosBox. Just out of curiosity. I might obviously need to connect a mouse and keyboard via USB hub and USB2Go. I find the BT keyboards/mice poor compared to proprietary Wireless or USB versions.

About 13 years ago I ran the Adventure Game for PC Beneath a Steel Sky on DosBox on Symbian 60 on an Nokia phone with a small display and keypad. It didn't work any worse than on the PC.

Edit: I have a full Win 3.0 in real mode running on DosBox on Windows and Linux. About 2s to 4s loading time!

Last edited by Quoth; 09-14-2020 at 10:25 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote