View Single Post
Old 03-31-2023, 09:35 AM   #39
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
I neither like or hate Sanderson. I mean it is complicated. I admire his work but he is as inconsistent as most authors that I like. I never buy wholesale into the bibliography of any author. Anyway, the first 2 Stormlight Archive books are what I prefer over even a couple of the Potter books. I tried to read the first Mistborn Trilogy. The 1st, The Final Empire, was quite good, although something seemed off that I didn't detect in the SA stories. The 2nd one was facepalm inducing, while the 3rd I DNFed after 20 pages.

After a few years, with reading SA books 3 and 4 along the way, I tried Mistborn 4. The crude writing surprised even a skeptic like me. From the beginning Sanderson tried to set up a quick arc (don't want to use spoiler tags). I realised then that he got some beliefs wrong (not talking about religion). It was worth reading that part of the book to get the epiphany that a writer as experienced and intelligent as Sanderson can have such blunt ideas about what and what doesn't work. All of this was my reaction to the experience. I understand that 99% of his fans love the Mistborn books. I just wanted to share this, because I understood even less about why I like certain books and why I ditch the writing of some of my favourite authors.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote