View Single Post
Old 05-07-2024, 04:17 AM   #30
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Chef View Post
So, went back and did it again (because I bought a couple books in the past few days and needed to back them up), and, yeah, I had "--ignore-existing" on in the rsync arguments, and that's why the metadata file wasn't coming over. I copied the metadata.db and metata.db backup files manually, and all is good now.

That makes me even more confused, though, as to why I had so many books that rsync needed to re-copy when I did my last sync. I did a full backup and restore in August 2023 (which included full library and config files). When I did the first rsync a couple weeks ago, a bunch of books that were already there were picked up by rsync again. Did Calibre make some change between versions that renamed some of the library folders on the filesystem such that rsync saw them as new files and needed to copy them? That's the only thing I can think of that would explain it.

Otherwise, I probably need to do one more rsync and turn off --ignore-existing just to make sure I'm truly getting everything. If I'm remembering my rsync-fu, even if it flags my entire library as needing to copy, it should basically skip the files and transfer 0/0 bytes on each one when it determines that the hashes between the source and destination of each EPUB are the same, right?
You need to not tell rsync to ignore existing. What you did with the manual copying could still have a library that's not updated. Just let any new/updated files be copied. If you don't, then don't bother to backup anything as it's a waste of time.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote