Thread: css question
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2024, 08:34 PM   #14
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Merkey View Post
"...may be very interesting for all type of repeated features"
It certainly is. However, it is specially convenient in dealing with books that use whitespace alone for scene breaks. Whitespace is an irritating waste of space for me. The method of pseudo-elements can add a visual break without touching the HTML code or even altering the original CSS. This is easy when the whitespace is produced by adding space to any paragraph above or below where the break is wanted. Style a pseudo-element version of that paragraph and you are done. Presumably the original code will serve as a fallback if that is relevant. I've used the method only on Amazon and Samsung products for about 12 years so I do not know that range of support beyond that.
Explain what you mean in plain English. Are you editing someone else's published ebooks, or creating/publishing ebooks for people, and if so what format of source are you given?

There is no "Samsung" ebook platform.

Quote:
Style a pseudo-element version of that paragraph and you are done.
Frankly sounds more complicated and likely to fail than doing it the way most ebooks do it, with zero pseudo-elements.

There are many articles explaining why ebooks shouldn't slavishly copy printed books, especially novels. Replace white-space only scene breaks in the source is trivial as is reducing excessive white space that might be fine on a 9" hardback but not in an ebook.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote