View Single Post
Old 04-17-2024, 11:17 PM   #129
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
And macs do not need or use menu accelerator keys as they have a unified menu bar and system defined keys to access all menus using the keyboard.
Why do Mac aficionados always raise this red herring.

Windows Accelerator keys are not needed to access menus implemented via the Win32 C++ Menu library - which is most of them, and what I believe Qt uses under the hood. I can traverse such menus, including Sigil's, with one finger. Pressing the Alt key gets me to the first menu item (e.g, File) (i.e. its a universal "Focus on Menu" key) from there I can use the arrow keys to traverse the menu tree.

The primary use of Accelerator keys (Alt+x) is to navigate directly to user input objects (buttons, checkboxes, text boxes, etc) within a form like window (dialogue boxes and the like).

I don't make as much use of Accelerator keys as I once did: a) some applications don't have them at all, b) others have duplicates on the same window (e.g. three Alt+Gs), c) and others are incomplete - e.g. a checkbox is added with no accelerator.

But there are times when their presence comes in handy.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote