View Single Post
Old 04-15-2024, 07:32 AM   #1
atjb
atjb began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Sage
Looking to improve my Kobo Sage experience

Hi all,

I've read this forum for a while - I started doing so while thinking about ways I wish my Kobo Sage was better. I'm about to start making some changes, and before I do so would like to check my assumptions and what I'm about to do with the community.

The first issue I find with the Kobo Sage, is that I cannot add books to the Rakutan Kobo app on macOS, other than if I purchase them through the store itself. The workaround I have here is using Calibre + the KoboUtilities plugin. I then came across the issue where the internal database would brick itself fairly often, which I fixed using the logout/login workaround. This removed my reading history, so after a few cycles of this I figured out syncing this to Calibre, so that it can be re-synced to the Sage next time it bricks. I think this is all currently best practise, and would appreciate confirmation.

The second issue that I find is slow loading times with epubs that contain code blocks - say 20/40 seconds to turn a page. Looking into this, it looks like I have 2 options:

1: Convert any problematic books to KEPUB format
2: Try KOReader
3: Something else?

It's here that I'd like to check the way forwards. Could someone please recommend:

- the best way to convert to KEPUB? Looking at the options I have in Calibre, I can't actually see anything in the 'convert books' options that will output KEPUB. In particular, when looking at the KoboUtilities plugin, the driver appears to be KoboTouch and not KoboTouchExtended - which I cannot find any options to work with. I'd appreciate any links or advise that could straighten me out here.

- re: KOReader, it looks fairly straightforward, and since I'm going to be installing my first 3rd party launcher, I should basically just follow the Github instructions + wiki. Again, I'd appreciate someone confirming that this is correct, and that this is likely to have an effect upon the page-turn speed when viewing code-blocks.

I'd also appreciate any thoughts as to whether I'm missing something entirely, and should be doing something completely different.

Any help greatly appreciated!
atjb is offline   Reply With Quote