Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 02-14-2014, 02:40 AM   #16
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC, t1, t2, t3, aura 2 v1, clara HD, Libra 2, Nxtpaper 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Macros or language specific spell checkers ?
When I could choose, I prefer the spell checker to be available first, and macro's second. Besides them being plugged in or bolted on I think seamlessly glued on is just fine for me
DrChiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 03:11 AM   #17
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrChiper View Post
I like a recording facility to record / playback repeating tasks like often used search & replace sequences. Kind of macro's as in popular editors.
+1 for this. I don't care a lot for spell checkers.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2014, 04:38 AM   #18
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC, t1, t2, t3, aura 2 v1, clara HD, Libra 2, Nxtpaper 11
You will learn to appreciate them when you have lots of badly scanned/OCR-ed documents with ocean's of corrupted words and not having a Monks patience ...
DrChiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 06:56 AM   #19
elibrarian
Imperfect Perfectionist
elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
+1 for this. I don't care a lot for spell checkers.
I don't want to start any wars on which is better and which is not. But I tend to agree with Terisa. There are oodles of editors and wordprocessors with spellchecking facilities out there - free and not so free - but a macro facility of some sort would be nice (something like Notetab's clips in a unicode editor as this is a wet dream, but that may be just a bit too demanding )

Just my tuppence.

Regards,

Kim
elibrarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 11:04 AM   #20
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I would rank macro's above spell check for similar reasons to elibrarian's.

optional PIs to convert Notepad's Clips, Word's WordBasic and OOo's StarBasic macros to whatever is used by this editor.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 02-14-2014 at 11:06 AM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2014, 11:10 AM   #21
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I would put spell check down the list.

You should be able to spell check the in Sources in word/writer...

That may leave the TOC (it not generated from headings) as unchecked.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 12:02 PM   #22
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
The macro function which somewhat covers the clips function is what is more important, but for me, spell check would be second.

It depends on what you are starting with. If it is OCR then spelling is pretty important, but if it comes out of a word processor, the spelling recedes into the background pretty fast.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 03:29 PM   #23
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Quote:
I like a recording facility to record / playback repeating tasks like often used search & replace sequences. Kind of macro's as in popular editors.
Great idea...this is what I was sort of asking for here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=230783.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 04:24 PM   #24
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I know one can never truly keep control of a thread once it's born, but...

I'm sure there's all kinds of feature request threads out there for calibre's editor, so I'm thinking a lot of these ideas might find a better home in one of them. Or maybe a plugin-wishlist thread is order.

Rather than a "what kind of plugins do we want" kind of thing, I believe Kovid's at the earlier (and much more "meta") phase of "what do I make accessible (and how) so that plugin developers can do a variety of things that interest them?" Or at least thinking about that sort of stuff, anyway. For a future rainy day.

This was only intended (on my part, anyway) to be sort of a "how best to present/expose stuff, so third parties can do stuff with that stuff" conversation. You know... meta-stuffs.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 04:35 PM   #25
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
You will learn to appreciate them when you have lots of badly scanned/OCR-ed documents with ocean's of corrupted words and not having a Monks patience ...
I usually avoid them (been there, done that).
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 07:04 AM   #26
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Since few of us really understand which is best handled by what, it is not unhelpful to throw it all out there and let those who do know something sort it out.
Old 02-15-2014, 07:32 AM   #27
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Fair enough.
It just didn't seem likely to me that a spell-checker vs macro feature debate would be very helpful in this regard. In fact, it doesn't seem very likely to me that either would be very good candidates for what might easily be provided via whatever plugin functionality happens to evolve. They both sound more like core features to me.

Could be wrong, though. Wouldn't mind a bit if I was.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 02:55 PM   #28
signum
Zealot
signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

As long as we're blue-skying here, I'd like to see a "pipe to" facility. It would work somewhat like the "open with" in the older, now abandoned editor (ONAE), but provide full-duplex I/O to any arbitrary executable you might like. The ONAE seemed to presume that just an editor was to be opened, all the input sent to it at once, the editor does its thing and then sends back all output at once. I couldn't get it to handle read-a-line, modify, write-a-line (RMW) interleaving. The more general pipe-to would allow you to write a batch (or shell) script to do most anything you want. With the RMW idea you could write a script to do most of what a plug-in would do and even more. The essential idea is that it turns search-replace on its head. With S/R, you apply one search pattern and one replace pattern to the entire file and then go on with the next S/R and start over with the top of the file. With the RMW idea, you apply all S/R patterns to a single line, write it out and then do the same thing to the next line. Everything is done in a single pass through the file. You should be able to pipe a set of html lines to the system sort program, for instance. Or pass a bunch of html through the C pre-processor or any other macro processor. Or copy the input to a disk file.

Another separate feature that would work well with this and the built-in S/R would be the ability to mark or highlight a set of code lines and restrict the S/R (or pipe-to) to just those lines. You wouldn't often want to sort an entire file of html code, but I often want to sort a list written in html.
signum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 06:20 PM   #29
mrmikel
Color me gone

Another separate feature that would work well with this and the built-in S/R would be the ability to mark or highlight a set of code lines and restrict the S/R (or pipe-to) to just those lines....

This function is already available by highlighting the text and right clicking mark selected text.
Old 02-16-2014, 01:32 AM   #30
signum
Zealot
signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post
Another separate feature that would work well with this and the built-in S/R would be the ability to mark or highlight a set of code lines and restrict the S/R (or pipe-to) to just those lines....

This function is already available by highlighting the text and right clicking mark selected text.
I stand corrected on that point. Thanks.
signum is offline   Reply With Quote