Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-02-2024, 11:21 AM   #1
robertpolson
Connoisseur
robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: none
Shifting Opinion About Libra Colour Screen

When I received my Libra Colour, I asked for a return several hours later. I disliked the darker grey and grainy screen.

However, while waiting for the shipping label, I have been spending a bit more time with it. I am kind of warming up to a more grey (natural) background as opposed to a more bluish background on my Kobo Forma.

Has anyone else warmed up to the darker screen on Libra Colour? It kind of reads nice compared to a more white-bluish background of other e-readers.
robertpolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 11:58 AM   #2
TheSmitty
Addict
TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite SE, Libra 2, Oasis 3, Boox Note Air 3C, iPad Pro 11
I've liked it since opening it. But I have a NA3C so was already prepared for dimmer screen. The colors pop more on the Libra Colour than they do on the NA3C fyi
TheSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2024, 12:40 PM   #3
Pen&Paper
Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite & Kobo Libra Colour
I will try not to compare it to my Kindle Paperwhite. I will use it a couple of days, learn to like it, before any comparison. I hope I will.
Pen&Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 12:48 PM   #4
brown.ml
brown.ml began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Libra H2O & Libra Color
Concur, Robertpolson, on the brightness of the Libra Color screen. I have found that the Libra Color needs to be at least 50 % brightness to be as bright as my Libra 2 at 30%. I can live with it, but noticed that the battery only last about 4 hours of continuous reading, vice 7 hours on the Libra 2.
I do miss having Caecilica font. I am not sure how to download/transfer it.
brown.ml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 12:53 PM   #5
7hir7een
Reader of Books
7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra Colour, Libra 2, Elipsa, Kindle Basic (11th gen)
I'm still getting used to reading with the front light all the way on when I read outside. But I am starting to get used to the way the screen looks in bright light. As long as I don't compare it to my Libra 2 directly, I'm happy with it.

On the other hand, reading inside is great! Since I do most of my reading when I get home from work/before bed, I think it's going to work out quite well for me. I love seeing my covers in color now
7hir7een is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2024, 01:28 PM   #6
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by brown.ml View Post
Concur, Robertpolson, on the brightness of the Libra Color screen. I have found that the Libra Color needs to be at least 50 % brightness to be as bright as my Libra 2 at 30%. I can live with it, but noticed that the battery only last about 4 hours of continuous reading, vice 7 hours on the Libra 2.
Those are *ridiculously* low battery life numbers, for both devices. (Unless by continuous reading you mean holding down the fat page turn button.)
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 01:35 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
30% on the Libra 2 (IMHO) would be way too bright. From what I've seen/read, the Libra Color needs about 20% light to be as bright as the Libra 2 with no light.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 01:48 PM   #8
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
30% on the Libra 2 (IMHO) would be way too bright.
I often read on my Libra with the light at 50-90%. Not in a dim environment, of course - under a window in broad daylight. The thing is, I want my screen to be off-white, not grey.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 02:14 PM   #9
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
30% on the Libra 2 (IMHO) would be way too bright. From what I've seen/read, the Libra Color needs about 20% light to be as bright as the Libra 2 with no light.
It depends greatly on the ambient light. Usually, when I matched the brightness of L2 and LC (to my sight), the LC was between 5 and 10% brighter. I was very surprised last night, when in complete darkness with Natural light about haflway, (and matched as closely as I could between the two), the LC brightness was 15% vs 17% on the L2. But as you increase ambient light, the LC needs more and more supplemental light to keep up, until you hit 100% and then it still looks too dark in sunlit environment, (wheras the L2 practically glows with light completely off.)
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 04:56 PM   #10
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
The Libra Colour uses the same Kaleido 3 technology as my Onyx Boox Tab Mini C. I'm curious to see how Kobo's use of Kaleido 3 compares with Onyx's.
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 05:40 PM   #11
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Vx->Handera->Clie-> Axim->505->650->KPW/Aura ->L2->iOS/CBW
Quote:
You can add any font you want - you need to make a "fonts" folder and add it to the Kobo root directory (not the .kobo directory). Any fonts you put in that folder should show up as choices to use in your books.

See the first post here
slantybard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 07:07 PM   #12
Pen&Paper
Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I often read on my Libra with the light at 50-90%. Not in a dim environment, of course - under a window in broad daylight. The thing is, I want my screen to be off-white, not grey.
I just got mine. I always read with the front light on too.

Out of the box, my Libra Colour was set at 80% (Which I think is too much for inside.) The best way I found is to set it back to zero for a bit, and start to slowly go up. I got it at 50%. I could dim it, but I like it this way.
Old 05-02-2024, 07:09 PM   #13
Pen&Paper

Quote:
Yes. But wait till you get one. It's very subjective.
Old 05-02-2024, 08:33 PM   #14
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pen&Paper View Post
Yes. But wait till you get one. It's very subjective.
That's the problem with most people's statements about ereaders. They are very subjective. For instance, I tend to notice font issues while one friend of mind could read Comic Sans without really noticing anything about the font.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 11:15 PM   #15
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
That's the problem with most people's statements about ereaders. They are very subjective. For instance, I tend to notice font issues while one friend of mind could read Comic Sans without really noticing anything about the font.
And there are variations between different units as well. For example, the frontlight on my Sage is a bit greenish and uneven, while on my Libra 2 it's near perfect; there are members here whose experience is the exact opposite.

There are two conflicting reviews about the Pocketbook Era and the Libra 2 in the Pocketbook section. One poster says the Libra has a better screen and is more responsive, another says it's the opposite. Which of them is right, then, or can there really be that much difference between individual units?
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
color, libra