Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-08-2018, 06:18 PM   #1
LisaReader
LisaReader began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Restart Loop after Koreader Install Attempt -- Hoping for Help!

I seem to have made some sort of crucial error while attempting to install Koreader on my Aura One. My device now won't (re)start properly: the blue on light keeps blinking and the screen shifts from blank to "restarting" with the five squares. It goes back and forth in an endless loop. Holding down the power button doesn't help. I've tried holding it for 20-30 seconds, letting off the button for 10-20 seconds, the holding it down again, etc. but nothing seems to take it out of the loop. (And there's no hole for the ol' paper clip fix.) The start light has changed to pink a couple of times when I've held the power button down.

How did I get here?

After installing koreader files on the device, I got a "Please handle your update files" message, which I tried to fix by going to a command for installing the update files. (I think that's what is was, I can't access it any longer!) It's possible that I caused the problem by installing the koreader files in the wrong order: I missed a step, went back and installed those files, and then the message started. Before that, I'd been able to go back and forth between Nickel and KSM, though (obviously) hadn't been able to access koreader. In reviewing the steps, I realized I'd missed something so went back and added it.

At this point, my PC doesn't recognize the device so I can't remove the koreader files, it almost looks like the device is confused about whether to start in Nickel (the restart menu with the squares) or KSM (the blank screen), and the Aura One is basically giving a blinking light show.

I'm not sure if the best approach might be to just let the battery drain and then try recharging, though of course I'm afraid it will do the same thing.

Any help would be most welcome! Thank you in advance. I've been lurking on the site since I was trying to decide which reader to buy and got lots of good advice so hope someone else might have had -- and resolved -- a similar problem.
LisaReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 08:58 PM   #2
LisaReader
LisaReader began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
I resolved this in another attempt at factory restart by holding the start button down, using Kobo's manual instructions on this page. I'd tried this already but wonder if maybe I hadn't held the button down quite long enough! It did seem like I held it down longer the time it actually worked, making the on light flash pink and blue more steadily than it had before.
LisaReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert