Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-23-2012, 07:07 PM   #1
GvilleBridge
Connoisseur
GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Tablet
New Kobo coming?

the-ebook-reader.com said, last Friday:

90% off Codes for Kobo eBooks, $79 Kobo Touch; A New Kobo Device About to Launch?
Posted on April 20th, 2012 by Nathan
http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/201...bout-to-launch

Kobo is offering some huge sales right now, so big it makes you wonder if something is about to go down. Giving out codes for 90% off of ebooks is a good way to rack up sales and draw in customers, but certainly isn’t a good way to make money.

It makes me think Kobo is about to do something big. About this time last year they were giving out a ton of discount codes right before they launched the Kobo Touch ereader. After that the discount codes dried up for a while.

Is a new Kobo eReader or Tablet on the verge of being released?

I’d say there is a very good chance that Kobo is about to release a new gadget. They release a new E Ink ereader about this time every year, but unless they are adding a light to it like the new Nook Glow, it’s hard to imagine what kind of major changes they could make. Color E Ink just doesn’t seem like it has much of a chance until the technology is improved.

It’s more likely that Kobo could introduce a successor to the Kobo Vox, seeing as how it is pretty out-dated by tablet standards, even though it is less than a year old.

Whatever it is, something is afoot at Kobo…

[End quote; I only convey this item and have no way to confirm anything.]
GvilleBridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:10 PM   #2
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I'm keeping my eyes open for a new eInk device around the time of the Book Expo America, which begins June 4. This is based only on past patterns--nothing leaked, or discount codes etc. If there is to be a new version of the Vox, I would expect that to launch around Xmas.

You may want to keep a watch for FCC filings.

All of this is pure speculation on my part.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2012, 09:23 PM   #3
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
It would not be surprising. Last year in April I bought my first e-reader ever, the Kobo Wifi (which one of my children now has), because it was on sale.

A week later they released the Kobo Touch. (Which my husband now has inherited due to my Sony T1)

I'm very happy right now with the T1 and have no plans to buy anything else for myself.

Edit: I was wrong, it was a couple months later, but still it was quite soon after getting my Kobo that I heard the Touch was coming.

Last edited by spindlegirl; 04-23-2012 at 09:25 PM.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 01:04 AM   #4
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
What technology is out that the touch doesn't have though? The Kindle has always been faster and had more features but not anymore, the KT is pretty up to date.

And $79 is for the KT with offers (On screen advertisements).
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 02:59 AM   #5
Vormulac
Vormulac began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch and Kindle 3G
I think a realisitic update to the KT wouls have to be to make it closer to the Kindle in terms of 'polish' - a faster processor, a better battery and more reliable touch screen (and perhaps the ability to mount a powered light like the excellent Kindle illuminated case). Other than that it's hard to see what could really be improved in terms of hardware.
Vormulac is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2012, 04:05 AM   #6
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
If Kobo were to release a Colour Eink device (NOT LCD) with a glowlight like the Nook, I might be tempted to get one.
I would give my Kobo Touch to my kids, they would love it.
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:10 AM   #7
LuvReadin
Addict
LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 and Cool-ER
Quote:
Originally Posted by GvilleBridge View Post
Kobo is offering some huge sales right now, so big it makes you wonder if something is about to go down.
You could be right - the 'official' supplier for the Kobo in the UK is the WHSmith bookshop chain, but the Kobo has also been available relatively recently from two supermarkets - Asda and Sainsburys - which has brought the price down. Asda is now out of stock of the Kobo Wifi, which possibly indicates that this might be the one to be replaced.
LuvReadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:27 AM   #8
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The main reason I bought the T1 is because when I looked through the "future feature firmware request" list of things I had hoped the Kobo Touch would eventually have, I realized that the T1 already had my wish-list needs met and then some, and it was less than the cost of the Touch at the time.

Also, it works straight out of the box. I had to recently replace the T1 and this time decided to skip set-up, and just put my existing books on it. Worked like a charm.

I would hope that if the next model of Kobo ereader they put out hopes to even remotely tempt me, it would have to work so well as to make my T1 look like a cheap toy - and fresh out of the box, no silly "steps", no downloading software to make it go, just plug it in and go. For epubs, the T1 meets my personal needs best.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:28 AM   #9
spindlegirl
Wizard

please delete my accidental double-post.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:08 AM   #10
LuvReadin
Addict
LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 and Cool-ER
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlegirl View Post
The main reason I bought the T1 is because when I looked through the "future feature firmware request" list of things I had hoped the Kobo Touch would eventually have, I realized that the T1 already had my wish-list needs met and then some, and it was less than the cost of the Touch at the time.

Also, it works straight out of the box. I had to recently replace the T1 and this time decided to skip set-up, and just put my existing books on it. Worked like a charm.
I own a T1, but recently bought a Kobo Wifi as a present. I don't know if the Touch works differerently, but I didn't find the Wifi any more difficult to use than the T1 - very easy to side-load books onto it (and yes, they were PD books!), and the buttons were easy to use. I found pros and cons of both - I like the Sony Collections, but I also liked the Kobo display of the books read, for instance.

Last edited by LuvReadin; 04-24-2012 at 08:13 AM.
LuvReadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:42 AM   #11
spindlegirl
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvReadin View Post
I own a T1, but recently bought a Kobo Wifi as a present. I don't know if the Touch works differerently, but I didn't find the Wifi any more difficult to use than the T1 - very easy to side-load books onto it (and yes, they were PD books!), and the buttons were easy to use. I found pros and cons of both - I like the Sony Collections, but I also liked the Kobo display of the books read, for instance.
The Kobo Wifi is a very good reader. I gave mine to my daughter and she loves it.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:57 AM   #12
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Has Kobo added any way to organize books on these devices yet?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:17 AM   #13
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Has Kobo added any way to organize books on these devices yet?
If you mean like customised libraries to sort books into on the KT itself, then no.
I REALLY want this feature. I'm told it's coming tho.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:59 AM   #14
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by danskmacabre View Post
If you mean like customised libraries to sort books into on the KT itself, then no.
I REALLY want this feature. I'm told it's coming tho.
Yeah, that's what I mean. I've been hearing it's coming for a couple years now so I wondered if they'd done anything yet.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:04 AM   #15
danskmacabre
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Yeah, that's what I mean. I've been hearing it's coming for a couple years now so I wondered if they'd done anything yet.
Lol, I hear you...
I really can't tell you when or even IF it will happen.
I remember reading a thread a few weeks back where someone said it's already in the software but it's disabled pending beta testing.
I don't know the truth of it as I've not seen it or and I'm not a beta tester.