Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-23-2016, 07:17 AM   #1
abarthch
abarthch began at the beginning.

Device: PW2, PW3 & KV
Boot loop - what's wrong?

I bought a used PW3 without warranty that's stuck in a boot loop. It looks like the boot process almost finishes, because I can actually see the home screen for a second before something fails and it reboots.

I've already captured the boot process over minicom. It would be great if someone could tell from the log what's wrong with my device. Or maybe there's even a tutorial I can follow to diagnose and recover it myself? (I'm using Ubuntu.)

Thanks.
abarthch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 08:41 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by abarthch View Post
I bought a used PW3 without warranty that's stuck in a boot loop. It looks like the boot process almost finishes, because I can actually see the home screen for a second before something fails and it reboots.

I've already captured the boot process over minicom. It would be great if someone could tell from the log what's wrong with my device. Or maybe there's even a tutorial I can follow to diagnose and recover it myself? (I'm using Ubuntu.)

Thanks.
1) Check your serial number against this chart:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Serial_Numbers
to see if it is supposed to have a 3G card in it.
2) Start over.
Since it has a serial port connection, there is no telling what it might have had done to it before you got it.
Or even what you might have done to it, but didn't bother to mention.
Read the log you made -
You will see two places where you can break into the boot sequence -
The first is to get into the u-boot interactive mode -
The second (press return to ...) will get you into 'Recovery Mode' -
Export the USB drive -
Place the most recent Amazon update file on root of USB drive -
Select 'recover from update package on fat' - However it is worded.

For gory details -
Search for the 'Recovery by fastboot' thread - (you don't need to do that, but it has the above process details in that same thread).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2016, 10:28 AM   #3
abarthch

Thanks, knc1.

The chart says it's a Kindle PaperWhite 3 (2015) WiFi.

Quote:
Since it has a serial port connection, there is no telling what it might have had done to it before you got it.
Or even what you might have done to it, but didn't bother to mention.
I did the serial connection myself, everything looked quite new and untouched. And I would never withhold information from you...

I just managed to get into recovery mode, however when I try to choose option 3 (Load MMC over USB Storage) I get this error:

Code:
Unknown option '3'
Input seems to work, because I can choose option q and quit. Should I try another of these options?

Code:
3. Load MMC0 over USB storage
4. Erase MMC0
I. Initialize Partition Table (fdisk) and format FAT
O. Format and overwrite FAT partition
E. Export FAT partition
U. Update using update*.bin file on FAT partition
M. Update using update*.bin file on FAT partition of second MMC port
D. dmesg / kernel printk ring buffer.
Q. quit
Old 04-23-2016, 10:48 AM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
To be double-checked, but I'd say try an install of the latest official firmware update? (i.e., E -> copy fw update, then -> U).

And, just in case that wasn't obvious: NEVER EVER TOUCH THAT "ERASE MMC" OPTION .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 10:58 AM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

E -
Cable pc-to-kindle, copy the Amazon update_*.bin file of your choice to kindle (Since you have a serial port to install the jailbreak with, get the most current version)
Remove cable (it should automagically un-export when you remove the cable).
U -
Duck, Cover, Wait -
it should be fixed when it reboots.

Stay away from that 'Erase All' choice - it real does work, take our word for it.

And once you get it working, and jailbroken -
stay away from that: "Reset (to factory defaults)" menu choice.

Last edited by knc1; 04-23-2016 at 11:06 AM.
Advert
Old 04-23-2016, 11:20 AM   #6
abarthch

I think now I see what the problem is.

The problem is that the PW3 only boots up in the way I described when connected to a wall charger. When connected to a computer USB port, the boot process starts but after a few seconds just stops (without rebooting) before I can go into recovery. And when on battery the PW3 refuses to boot at all.

I tried a USB-Y cable to con it into booting normally and still being able to connect it to a computer USB port. Then I tried option E as NiLuJe described, but nothing showed up on my computer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
And, just in case that wasn't obvious: NEVER EVER TOUCH THAT "ERASE MMC" OPTION .
I just read a thread of a guy with the same problem (unknown option '3') and he accidentally pressed 4 before he could solve the problem... Poor guy.
Old 04-23-2016, 11:33 AM   #7
knc1
Going Viral

We have a thread on that -
Search for a thread title with 'fastboot' in it.

= = = =

Ok. you just have a very run-down battery - -
Let it nurse on a PC port (the low charge rate curve of the Kindle) for a day or two.
Things are happening inside, even though you don't see any signs.

oh, and ignore the little light - it is under software control, and it the software isn't running (and running properly) you can't trust the light.
Old 04-23-2016, 12:29 PM   #8
abarthch

Is it this one, knc1?

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Ok. you just have a very run-down battery - -
Let it nurse on a PC port (the low charge rate curve of the Kindle) for a day or two.
I've already charged it for a week on a wall charger before soldering the serial port. Should I charge it again on a PC port or does it make no difference?

Just now I've replaced the battery with that from my second PW3 (and ruined a corner of its display in the process ) but the behaviour stays the same. Also, according to the information in the recovery menu my battery's charge should be >80%.

I also noticed that when I input 'E' on recovery mode the PWs display changes from Recovery mode with the symbolic Kindle to the classic Repair Needed screen (Code 0).
Old 04-23-2016, 12:44 PM   #9
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by abarthch View Post
Is it this one, knc1?

I've already charged it for a week on a wall charger before soldering the serial port. Should I charge it again on a PC port or does it make no difference?

Just now I've replaced the battery with that from my second PW3 (and ruined a corner of its display in the process ) but the behaviour stays the same. Also, according to the information in the recovery menu my battery's charge should be >80%.

I also noticed that when I input 'E' on recovery mode the PWs display changes from Recovery mode with the symbolic Kindle to the classic Repair Needed screen (Code 0).
The menu choices should be showing up on the serial port -
Use the serial port connection, not the touch screen.
Old 04-23-2016, 12:56 PM   #10
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
You may need to reset the boot counter, which triggers the dreaded "Your kindle needs repair" screen. There are instructions in these forums for earlier kindle models (using RUNME.sh and data.tar.gz, as I recall). Not sure how on a PW3, but I would figure out how if I could afford to purchase a PW3. The newest kindle I have is a K5 (Touch), after my PW1 was lost on a business trip (supposedly discarded by the hotel cleaning crew, according to hotel management).

If anybody wishes to contribute newer kindles, I will certainly be more able to support them, with my renewed interest in kindles. I have a number of K3 (with unrestricted-in-USA free 3G internet) kindles (upgraded demo models), and I would certainly be willing to negotiate a fair trade.

Last edited by geekmaster; 04-23-2016 at 01:05 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 03:42 PM   #11
abarthch

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
You may need to reset the boot counter, which triggers the dreaded "Your kindle needs repair" screen.
I probably first need to gain access to the PWs file system, or is it possible to change the runme.sh over serial port somehow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
If anybody wishes to contribute newer kindles, I will certainly be more able to support them, with my renewed interest in kindles.
I'll trade you one of my PWs for a white (or black) K3. I have a few PWs and seeing that you would be willing to develop for PW is great! I can offer you a fully working PW2 or the PW3 from this thread, it's your choice.

If anyone else needs a PW2/3 fully working or partially working like this one, just PM me and I'll make you a sweet deal. It also begins to look that I may have a few parts to sell soon
Old 04-23-2016, 03:54 PM   #12
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I was able to get a RUNME.sh in there by with a "cat > /mnt/us/RUNME.sh" followed by the text of RUNME.sh, during a few second window during bootup over serial. I was also successful when the USB mounted drive appeared (not just the zero-length version) for a fraction of a second during boot. In both cases, it helps to have a script on the host sitting waiting, or in the USB drive case continuously looping, ready to pounce at the first opportunity. Before we had newer better ways to debrick kindles (starting with my "Select Boot" utility, both of those (narrow window of opportunity) methods worked to varying degrees.
Old 04-23-2016, 04:00 PM   #13
geekmaster

@abarthch: I know of no white K3s. I thought those were K2s. I do not have one. I have the black K3, with wifi and 3G (with "demo" markings on the front bezel). I also have a couple of wifi-only 3G that are full retail models. All have been upgraded with a recent Kubrick. Your choice. I would actually like a PW2 and a PW3, depending on what you are willing to part with. I also have a few available K5 (Touch) with 3G as well (also marked as demo models, but upgraded to full retail with Kubrick). PM me for mutual shipping details and what you prefer to do to get this done. Yes, I plan to support everything I have in my possession, and I would LOVE to find a new simple jailbreak for the latest (most locked down) firmware.

Also, I plan to rig up a simple device to do PWM sound via USB host mode, where the USB packet content gets averaged out into sound by a speaker (and perhaps a transistor and/or resistor if needed, or using headset or amplified speakers). So we can have "geekmaster kindle video play WITH SOUND", even on non-sound kindles. Or perhaps just use a $0.99 USB sound dongle? Another possibility is to do PWM sound via the aux port pads (those little metal pads on the bottom, for lighting a reading light LED) on some kindles. Or maybe toggling the power LED with PWM sound, and using a photocell to drive the speakers? Possibilities are only limited by imagination...

Last edited by geekmaster; 04-23-2016 at 04:03 PM.
Old 04-23-2016, 11:52 PM   #14
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Not that you should also simply be able to boot diags and wipe the counter from there, since you have serial access. Saves you the pain of trying to not miss the short USB export time window .

EDIT: And then you can also do the USB export from there too, while you're there, IIRC?
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 12:36 PM   #15
abarthch

@geekmaster
Where can I find a sample text for the RUNME.sh?

Btw, your projects sound great! I'll PM you with my suggestions soon after looking over my stack of PWs.

@NiLuJe
I tried getting into diags mode and I can actually see the diags menu on my PW for a few seconds before it just disappears and reboots. Maybe you can figure out why from the capture file.