Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-02-2024, 09:25 AM   #1
Cactus Chef
Addict
Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Clara HD, Galaxy Tab S5e, Kindle 4th Gen
Why does Kobo keep re-downloading covers to some books I've already downloaded?

This has been a problem for some time, but I've never bothered to raise a thread about it until now.

There are some books in my library (always purchased from Kobo, never sideloads) where even after I have already downloaded the book to my local device, the Kobo will try to download the cover again the next time I turn my device on or it tries to sync. I have never been able to figure out rhyme or reason as to why, but it is always specific books in my library.

It's not really a problem, per se, I can still read the book fine. But the obnoxious thing is that if it happens to a book I'm currently reading and the cover re-download is not successful for whatever reason before the device goes to sleep, then I'll come back to find that the book cover on my device lockscreen has reverted to the generic Kobo EPUB image, which is quite annoying.

Can anyone shed some light on what's going on here? Does Kobo store ebook covers for books downloaded from their store somewhere other than inside the ebook itself, such that it feels the need to keep pulling it down?
Cactus Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 11:01 AM   #2
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I see it on my end as well. Maybe there were some sort of minor update. They are pushing through.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2024, 01:45 PM   #3
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
I'll bet it's a corrupted database. I've seen that happen before, where it won't store that data and keeps trying to sync it.

The only way to fix that was a factory reset and downloading it all from scratch.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 01:58 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haesslich View Post
I'll bet it's a corrupted database. I've seen that happen before, where it won't store that data and keeps trying to sync it.

The only way to fix that was a factory reset and downloading it all from scratch.
There is another way to fix that in you use calibre and Kobo Utilities to back up the database. That is to restore the latest backup database and then reboot.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 10:13 PM   #5
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haesslich View Post

I’d try More>Device Info>Repair first before a factory reset. Then I’d try logging out of the Kobo first, then logging back in before a reset. Sometimes that’s all you need to do. If the problem persists, then a Factory Reset usually fixes the problem.
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert