Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 05-05-2024, 07:49 AM   #1
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Sigil image viewing issue

Has anyone seen an issue with Sigil displaying images? Quite often I will double-click on an image file name in the book browser and I will get a black screen, or a pixelated/incomplete render in the CV area. If I scroll down in the CV area it appears to ‘reload’ the image and looks correct. Also, selecting a different image and then going back to the original image fixes it as well.

Latest Windows 11 pro ver 22631.3527, GeForce 3090 driver 552.22, single screen, Sigil 2.0.1

Edit: added pics blank and pixelated
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	blank.png
Views:	29
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	208072   Click image for larger version

Name:	pixelated.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	208073  

Last edited by Turtle91; 05-05-2024 at 08:07 AM.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2024, 11:40 AM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Can't say that I've noticed any such behavior, but I'll keep an eye out. I would say video drivers first. The 3090 is certainly new and beefy enough hardware to be ruled out, but nvidia releases buggy versions of new drivers all the time. If you're on the very newest, maybe roll back one. Or update if you're not on the latest.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2024, 11:44 AM   #3
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I tried checking a couple different driver versions. Same behavior on both versions - including the latest and greatest.

I fist noticed this after upgrading to Sigil 2.0 if that helps.

I have NOT tried a clean install. I had a test version of Sigil installed before upgrading to 2.0. That may be the problem. I’ll try that next.
Old 05-05-2024, 12:54 PM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Also try the latest version of Sigil (2.1.0) and see if that makes a difference. It has a different version of Qt than 2.0.1, I believe.
Old 05-05-2024, 12:56 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
I've noticed the same thing with several versions of the Nvidia driver and a T1000 8GB card. Currently I'm on the same NVidia driver version as ~Turtle91 and I am seeing the same effects randomly.

Windows 11 Pro 23H2 22631.3527, Nvidia T1000 8GB, Sigil 2.1.0 2024.04.26

If I use Sigil in one of my VMs, I don't notice that happening which does suggest that it is video driver related.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2024, 01:24 PM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
If I use Sigil in one of my VMs, I don't notice that happening which does suggest that it is video driver related.
VMs video drivers rarely have full opengl support. So it's likely that sigil is using the included mesa software implementation of opengl (opengl32sw.dll).

You could try forcing the use of software rendering on your non-vm machines by setting the QT_OPENGL environment variable to "software".

Another independent thing to try is under Sigil's General Settings preferences (Advanced tab), check the Disable GPU Acceleration in QtWebEngine option. I THINK WebEngine is used to display images in the resource tabs.

Does it happen with all image types, or does it tend to be certain ones?

Last edited by DiapDealer; 05-05-2024 at 02:37 PM.
Old 05-05-2024, 02:49 PM   #7
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Not sure if it matters, on the Qt 6.6.2 + (or maybe even Qt 6.5.X+), they have moved to QtWebEngine defaulting to each platform's native technologies for graphics. On macOS this is now metal, and for Windows it is Direct3D.

It is also controlled by a new environment variable:

QSG_RHI_BACKEND

With possible values: vulkan, metal, opengl, d3d11, d3d12

Requests the specific RHI backend. By default the targeted graphics
API is chosen based on the platform, unless overridden by this variable or the equivalent C++ APls. The defaults are currently Direct3D 11 for Windows, Metal for macOS, OpenGL elsewhere.

So you might want to try setting the environment variable:

QSG_RHI_BACKEND="opengl"

just to see if that fixes your image issues as it would try the orignal opengl interface in place of the Direct11 one. Or visa-versa or maybe try "d3d11" or "d3d12".

Last edited by KevinH; 05-05-2024 at 03:32 PM.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2024, 02:58 PM   #8
Capricorn
Belgian Pommes Frites
Capricorn will become famous soon enoughCapricorn will become famous soon enoughCapricorn will become famous soon enoughCapricorn will become famous soon enoughCapricorn will become famous soon enoughCapricorn will become famous soon enough

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD
Using Sigil 2.1.0 I opened nine random epubs, and clicked on all the images. All of them appeared without problem.
Running on Windows 11 23H2 build 22631.3447, and using an older AMD RX570 card (8GB) with AMD software 24.3.1
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2024, 03:38 PM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Not sure if it matters, on the Qt 6.6.2 + (or maybe even Qt 65.X+), they have moved to QtWebEngine defaulting to each platform's native technologies for graphics. On macOS this is now metal, and for Windows it is Direct3D.

It is also controlled by a new environment variable:

QSG_RHI_BACKEND

With possible values: vulkan, metal, opengl, d3d11, d3d12
I'd forgotten you'd mentioned this before. Judging by what I'm seeing in the way of dependencies with 2.1.0 on Windows, I might need to think about dropping the mesa software opengl dll from the installer. I hadn't noticed that it wasn't being used (and doesn't seem like it can be forced to be used). Same with d3dcompiler_47.dll, since it doesn't seem to be being pulled in from the sigil program directory any more.
Old 05-05-2024, 04:03 PM   #10
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Also try the latest version of Sigil (2.1.0) and see if that makes a difference. It has a different version of Qt than 2.0.1, I believe.
That was wierd… if I open an epub by clicking on the epub file it is running Sigil 2.1…. If I click on the Sigil shortcut then it opens with Sigil 2.0.1. I assume that was the troubleshooting version I had installed before. So that may be part of the issue. I will try removing it all and doing a clean install as well. Just need to remember how to save my clips/saved searches/plugins etc. FYI: the issue was found with opening the ePub file into Sigil 2.1

I disabled the GPU Acceleration. That worked for the pixelated image I attached to the OP. I’ll give that some more testing and the try Kevin’s suggestion of QSG_RHI_BACKEND.
Old 05-05-2024, 04:15 PM   #11
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

I take that back. At least on my VM, setting QSG_RHI_BACKEND to opengl causes the included opengl32sw.dll to be used. At least that's what it says in the logs when I set QSG_INFO=1

But it's still being used in some way on my Windows VM regardless of the QSG_RHI_BACKEND value. Sigil crashes without it. I just can't see it in the very tired Dependency Walker any more.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 05-05-2024 at 04:23 PM.
Old 05-05-2024, 05:14 PM   #12
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
I've noticed the issue with both JPEG and PNG images. It seems to be more of an issue with larger images (covers, maps, etc.).

I'll give the suggested options a try and see what happens. I don't see the issue on every ePub nor is it consistent on the same images.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 09:37 AM   #13
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard

Turning off the GPU acceleration seems to fix the problem. I'm not sure that is the entire problem though. I had GPU acceleration turned on with no problems. Then with Sigil 2.0 - and I assume it's because of a change with QT - it started having this problem even though I hadn't changed video drivers. Then I updated the video driver and still had the problem????

In any case, thanks for the help!