Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-18-2011, 12:19 PM   #1
boxcorner
»(°±°)«
boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: divisive reader
Colour e-readers set for 2011 release

news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/click_online (Tuesday, 18 January 2011)
boxcorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 12:29 PM   #2
Croker
Connoisseur
Croker will become famous soon enoughCroker will become famous soon enoughCroker will become famous soon enoughCroker will become famous soon enoughCroker will become famous soon enoughCroker will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Voyage, obv.
Nice. This is a big step forward, I think, particularly for those of us who don't want to use a backlit screen for reading.

I haven't missed having colour in the 3 or 4 years I've had an eReader, but it'd be nice to have.
Croker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2011, 01:09 PM   #3
SleepyBob
Evangelist
SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
Yes, I think this is one of the next big steps in e-reader technology. Hopefully the price differential will shrink quickly.

The other shift that I would expect is probably having more touch-responsive screens (like Sony) in the next 5 years. Neither a keyboard nor a separate touchscreen works consistently better in a range of circumstances.
SleepyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:03 PM   #4
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
I'll believe it when I see it.
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 02:48 AM   #5
injapan
Addict
injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11, Kobo Arua 2 and iPad Air 3
Yes, I heard that this was coming, a logical step
injapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2011, 03:24 AM   #6
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
Meh. I think it's completely pointless. Unless you read comics or magazines, color simply doesn't matter, and if you want those, get a tablet, since those don't take very long to read.

Yes, there are exceptions. Coffee table books. Travel guides. Some textbooks. But those are likely better off staying in book form.
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 04:02 AM   #7
CTH
Zealot
CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyR View Post
Meh. I think it's completely pointless. Unless you read comics or magazines, color simply doesn't matter, and if you want those, get a tablet, since those don't take very long to read.

Yes, there are exceptions. Coffee table books. Travel guides. Some textbooks. But those are likely better off staying in book form.
But what if you enjoy reading both normal novels and comics? I think it is a nice progression and would not mind having a color reader even though I would not need the color most of the time.
CTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 04:36 AM   #8
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTH View Post
But what if you enjoy reading both normal novels and comics? I think it is a nice progression and would not mind having a color reader even though I would not need the color most of the time.
Kindle for novels and nookcolor for comics.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 04:45 AM   #9
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcorner View Post
That particular device in that video seems to have a small nice at best. Only 4096 colours (i.e. 12 bit, 4 bit per colour - 16x16x16), 1/4 second refresh rate, and contrast only as good as current B&W eInk screens.

What is interesting is that to get that contrast ratio with a colour filter in front has required doubling the contrast compared to the older screens, and also doubling the resolution of the screen.

So a black and white version of that screen would have a contrast ratio and resolution approaching that of a 300dpi laser on white paper.

I'd really like to see that in an ebook reader.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 12:31 PM   #10
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
If it's also better at simulating text on paper than the current screens, due to higher dpi or whatever, then that is a good thing. However, it's only that quality I'll consider when deciding whether to buy it and at what price.

I didn't buy an e-ink reader out of my love for grayscale. I got it for the similarity to paper. I don't read comics but many people do, so I wouldn't say that the look of paper should be less important for them as it is for me, if a paper-like experience is what they seek. An LCD tablet does not accomplish that any more than it does for text.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 02:46 PM   #11
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Because the low refreshing rate of electrons (needed to change from black to white or color in this hypothetical case) I would not see eink color as a suitable solution for games or color applications; you need high refresh rates for those. With no doubt, an LCD screen is the only choice right now for that type of apps.

Having said that, I think there is a nice market and sales opportunities here anyway.

Novels, some technical books and bestsellers, are the same with color or not, because they are mainly text. But magazines, photography manuals even ads are not for a Kindle, Sony or whatever uses eink, no sir. If eink is coming in color, reading such kind of documents would be amazing, a step forward, because the battery usage will be a positive factor for sure and you can take full advantage of the color screen.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 04:26 PM   #12
Bricorn
Addict
Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG
It could make magazine subscriptions worthwhile. In grayscale most aren't worth the trouble.
Bricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 10:03 PM   #13
MikeFromHC
Zealot
MikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-books

Device: Pandigital Novel
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
Because the low refreshing rate of electrons (needed to change from black to white or color in this hypothetical case) I would not see eink color as a suitable solution for games or color applications; you need high refresh rates for those. With no doubt, an LCD screen is the only choice right now for that type of apps.

Having said that, I think there is a nice market and sales opportunities here anyway.

Novels, some technical books and bestsellers, are the same with color or not, because they are mainly text. But magazines, photography manuals even ads are not for a Kindle, Sony or whatever uses eink, no sir. If eink is coming in color, reading such kind of documents would be amazing, a step forward, because the battery usage will be a positive factor for sure and you can take full advantage of the color screen.
Electrons don't have a low refresh rate and are not teh basis for e-ink.

There are several viable methods of having good color, high refresh, and low power consumption that are close to market now.
electrowetting is the term to look for and after todays announcement I'm betting it will beat Mirasol to market.

This and :
Quote:
As electrowetting can be manufactured by modifying existing LCD production lines,...
is going to give Pixel Qi nightmares.
MikeFromHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 02:23 AM   #14
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
I'll enjoying seeing book covers in color, I think. I know you can't see the cover while reading but it's nice to glance at beforehand.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 03:02 AM   #15
boxcorner
»(°±°)«
boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: divisive reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterBooks View Post
I'll enjoying seeing book covers in color, I think. I know you can't see the cover while reading but it's nice to glance at beforehand.
With the Sony PRS-650, in addition to the thumbnails displayed in the list of books, while reading a book, book details can be displayed: OPTIONS -> Info. It would be nice if this Info page included the cover thumbnail, and nicer still if it was in colour. Also, I often download newspapers and magazines, and news from websites for my reader, using Calibre, so I would welcome colour for those cases, too. For example, today, BBC News contains an article about Comics in the Congo. Comics just aren't the same when they are displayed in black and white.

Addendum
While on the subject of cartoons better displayed in colour, I have just discovered the Washington Post Cartoons news feed - politicians lampooned in cartoons - thanks to Calibre. They fit my reader's screen almost perfectly.

Last edited by boxcorner; 01-22-2011 at 05:35 AM.
boxcorner is offline   Reply With Quote