Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-02-2024, 11:45 AM   #1486
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rinetrobo View Post
Hello !

I'm having trouble with my Libra H2O, it freezes randomly.

I tried a factory reset, Koreader, older versions of the firmware and it still happens.

Sometimes it works for a few hours, sometimes for minutes.

I just reset it again, loaded one book through USB and it freezes on the cover page.

The image is not displaying correctly and I can't do anything with the page turning buttons.

When I press the power button for a few seconds, the LED lights up, the screen either goes blank or displays the 3 dot animation but it freezes again and the only way to wake it up is to plug a power adapter to it.

Is this a known issue ? Can I do anything ? I haven't found anything about it on the forum so far.

At some point the battery seemed to be draining rapidly but it hasn't been a problem lately and when I plug it I haven't noticed a significant decrease after an incident.
Are you running the 4.38 firmware? Also, are you checking your eBooks for errors?

eBooks with errors is the most common reason for problems.

My suggestion is to use the calibre editor with the epubcheck plugin to check for errors. If you do find any errors, you will have to fix them.

Where is it you get your eBooks from?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 12:05 PM   #1487
rinetrobo
rinetrobo began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
To add to my previous post, I downloaded Kobo Utilities and checked the database which is ok.

I realised that I hadn't done the firmware updates correctly.

I did it correctly this time but the issue remains. I didn't load a book through usb this time and opened a book I purchased on the kobo store. Same thing. The cover image and the help pop-up (or whatever is displayed at that time) sort of merge together and it stays like that until I plug it.

The device seems to work alright as long as it gets power through USB. Which obviously is not ideal and could indicate an issue with the battery.

I just now noticed that when I touch the battery icon it says "99% Full charge in 9.3 hours" which is odd...
rinetrobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 12:08 PM   #1488
rinetrobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Are you running the 4.38 firmware? Also, are you checking your eBooks for errors?

eBooks with errors is the most common reason for problems.

My suggestion is to use the calibre editor with the epubcheck plugin to check for errors. If you do find any errors, you will have to fix them.

Where is it you get your eBooks from?
Hi, thank you for your answer.

I added to my post before seeing your response.

I was running the latest firmware but I have now rolled back to 4.37 which makes no difference.

I only have the one book from the Kobo store at the moment.

And the time to full charge seems to be going up not down. It now says 9.8 hours.
Old 05-02-2024, 02:01 PM   #1489
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hi, thank you for your answer.

I added to my post before seeing your response.

I was running the latest firmware but I have now rolled back to 4.37 which makes no difference.

I only have the one book from the Kobo store at the moment.

And the time to full charge seems to be going up not down. It now says 9.8 hours.
You might want to try firmware 4.35.20400 as 4.37 was not out long enough to know if there are any gotchas with it.
Old 05-03-2024, 06:57 AM   #1490
rinetrobo

Quote:
You might want to try firmware 4.35.20400 as 4.37 was not out long enough to know if there are any gotchas with it.
Thank you, the but that unfortunately made no difference.

I thought the device worked when plugged into power but I was wrong. When I touch the battery icon from within a book the status bar at the top turns black but nothing is displayed, when I then touch the "back to home" button the device reboots, which I think works because it's plugged in.

I uplugged it, opened a book, went back and forth between the book and home page and that worked a few times and then it froze again, black background and distorted image of the home page.
Old 05-03-2024, 08:04 AM   #1491
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Thank you, the but that unfortunately made no difference.

I thought the device worked when plugged into power but I was wrong. When I touch the battery icon from within a book the status bar at the top turns black but nothing is displayed, when I then touch the "back to home" button the device reboots, which I think works because it's plugged in.

I uplugged it, opened a book, went back and forth between the book and home page and that worked a few times and then it froze again, black background and distorted image of the home page.
Maybe the battery is shot and needs to be replaced.
Old 05-06-2024, 03:38 PM   #1492
rinetrobo

Quote:
Maybe the battery is shot and needs to be replaced.
Is there no way to tell definitely if the battery is shot ?

When I picked up the device today the battery was completely drained. I plugged it and after I think less than an hour it said 100% charged. It powered up normally, I unplugged it and keeping my finger on the page turn button I was able to skip through more than a hundred pages before it froze again. I plugged it back in, turned it back on and the battery was at 99%, I unplugged it and I was able to do the same thing again before it froze.

Can the battery be bad but still show 100% ?

Is there a battery supplier that has been particularly reliable or should I go with one that has good ratings on Aliexpress ? Maybe this is not the right subject for such a question in which case I'm sorry and would post it again in the appropriate thread.
Old 05-07-2024, 04:33 AM   #1493
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Is there no way to tell definitely if the battery is shot ?

When I picked up the device today the battery was completely drained. I plugged it and after I think less than an hour it said 100% charged. It powered up normally, I unplugged it and keeping my finger on the page turn button I was able to skip through more than a hundred pages before it froze again. I plugged it back in, turned it back on and the battery was at 99%, I unplugged it and I was able to do the same thing again before it froze.

Is there a battery supplier that has been particularly reliable or should I go with one that has good ratings on Aliexpress ? Maybe this is not the right subject for such a question in which case I'm sorry and would post it again in the appropriate thread.
Another thing to do is check the eBook in calibre's editor or Sigil with epubcheck and see if there are any errors and if so, fix them. Errors in eBooks can sometimes cause problems.
Old 05-09-2024, 11:09 AM   #1494
Frogm4n
Zealot
Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Quote:
The battery can have a sudden sag in voltage if it gets taxed or hot, etc., that recovers shortly afterwards. It could well be a weak battery that is on its way out. Another test, if you have the patience and time, is to do the same thing but give it 5-10 seconds between page turns instead of going constantly.
Frogm4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 01:57 PM   #1495
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Yes it can. That would be 100% of whatever charge the battery takes. So if the battery no longer takes 100% but take 85%, it would still show 100%.
Old 05-15-2024, 12:05 AM   #1496
serwei
Connoisseur
serwei began at the beginning.

Device: Smart Q7
on my KA1:
- e-ink black is now like 50%? after 2021 firmwares
- a borrowed Overdrive book after returning no longer has an Overdrive option to Borrow
- refresh sucks, even on 1 page mode it takes 3 refreshes to wipe all; devmode toggling of GC16, antialiasing, regal etc all don't help; new settings like throttle etc also
serwei is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pocket app