Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-02-2024, 05:54 PM   #1
fidvo
Addict
fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Different Calibre versions on same library

Can I run Calibre 3.x and 7.9 on the same library?

To give some context, I have a couple of computers running Windows 10, but I also have an old laptop with Windows 7. I haven't updated Calibre in several years because newer versions won't work with Win 7.

I keep Calibre Portable and all my libraries on an external hard drive. I would love to be able to upgrade Calibre to the latest version, but that would prevent it from running on that old laptop.

I just came up with the idea of keeping a backup copy of Calibre 3 portable in a different location, then if I need to run it on the Windows 7 laptop I would run that version. Yes, I'm okay with the fact that it won't remember the library if I point it to one not inside the Calibre 3 portable folder. This is a "just in case" situation so I don't mind having to jump through hoops to get it to work.

My main question is whether running the new Calibre will make any changes to the libraries that will prevent me from running Calibre 3 on it.

If this is a Really Bad Idea that's fine. That old laptop is just for emergencies anyway. I'm just trying to figure out my options before I upgrade Calibre.
fidvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 06:48 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidvo View Post

To give some context, I have a couple of computers running Windows 10, but I also have an old laptop with Windows 7. I haven't updated Calibre in several years because newer versions won't work with Win 7.

I keep Calibre Portable and all my libraries on an external hard drive. I would love to be able to upgrade Calibre to the latest version, but that would prevent it from running on that old laptop.

I just came up with the idea of keeping a backup copy of Calibre 3 portable in a different location, then if I need to run it on the Windows 7 laptop I would run that version. Yes, I'm okay with the fact that it won't remember the library if I point it to one not inside the Calibre 3 portable folder. This is a "just in case" situation so I don't mind having to jump through hoops to get it to work.

My main question is whether running the new Calibre will make any changes to the libraries that will prevent me from running Calibre 3 on it.

If this is a Really Bad Idea that's fine. That old laptop is just for emergencies anyway. I'm just trying to figure out my options before I upgrade Calibre.
Just in case what?

You should be able to access a copy of a library created/maintained on calibre 7 with calibre 3.48 - but if you change it in anyway on 3.48 you would suffer data loss if you copied in back again. If you used features added in versions 4/5/6/7 like Category Notes, the Data folder, etc etc you would not see them in 3.48.

Why don't you install current version of calibre portable on one of your W10 systems, then use the Copy to library feature to create a subset of your existing library and see what happens of you copy that library to your Win7/calibre 3.48 laptop.

The other thing you could do for your 'just in case' scenario is to install a dual bootable Linux on that old laptop, then install the latest calibre under it.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 05-03-2024 at 03:06 AM. Reason: clarity
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 04:38 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

You cannot use calibre 3.48 and calibre 7 on the same library. The database structure has changed and calibre 3.48 will not understand it. 3.48 may appear to work, but eventually it won't. Your solution is to upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 10 64-bit and then you can run calibre 7. If you feel you cannot update Windows 7 then you have two options. Stop using that laptop or buy a new laptop.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 05:00 AM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
YIf you feel you cannot update Windows 7 then you have two options. Stop using that laptop or buy a new laptop.
Four options at least.

Also support of Win10 ends soon, which is crazy.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 08:22 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Four options at least.

That is crazy given that many computers cannot install Windows 11 and Windows 10 is the latest Windows the can run. My previous laptop was unable to run Windows 11. My Surface Pro 2 is unable to install Windows 11.

It's just my laptop that can run Windows 11 because my previous laptop died.
Old 05-03-2024, 08:24 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Four options at least.

Linux is not an option. You do not want to use a case specific OS and a case non-specific OS on a calibre database.
Old 05-03-2024, 09:23 AM   #7
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Linux is not an option. You do not want to use a case specific OS and a case non-specific OS on a calibre database.
Nonsense.
1) NT 3.1, 3.5, 3.51, 4, Win2000, XP, Vista, 7, 8, 10 & 11 all have the option to be case sensitive as long as NTFS. Only DOS FS based Windows (3.x, Win9x, ME) can't be case sensitive.

2) Calibre has Export/Import for going between Mac/Win/Linux. Best to install same version Calibre on destination as source and upgrade afterwards.

3) Migration of Calibre on Windows XP or Win 7 to Linux (and probably Mac) can be done even without Export/Import.

Four options are:
  1. Do nothing
  2. S/H Laptop (some places even have 2 year warranty) with Win 10 or Win11
  3. New Laptop with Win 11
  4. Linux (but needs 64 bit CPU & OS for Calibre after 5.44). Linux 64 bit can even be installed on laptops/tablet/PC with 32 bit bios or UEFI that only runs 32 bit Win7 and defunct 32 bit Win10, as long as the CPU has 64 bits and 1.5 G free RAM after graphics steals some of the 2G, though it's tricker.
A 5th option used to be Intel Hackintosh, but that's pointless now and might not run latest Calibre.

I've Calibre also running on a S/H Raspberry Pi4b with 2G RAM that cost €55. Of course you need a 3.5A 5V PSR, a screen, keyboard and mouse So €300 new laptop can be better. About what I paid for my last one with SSD, 16 G RAM, FHD screen and option to add an HDD too.

There are probably loads of options. Tower/desktop PCs are often free due to offices switching to laptops. Those will run Linux or Win 10 (few can run Win 11, often no TPM for a start, which is proven now to be worthless). They might have less than FHD LCDs, but 1024 x 768 is workable. A decent screen is about €250.
Old 05-03-2024, 11:51 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Nonsense.
1) NT 3.1, 3.5, 3.51, 4, Win2000, XP, Vista, 7, 8, 10 & 11 all have the option to be case sensitive as long as NTFS. Only DOS FS based Windows (3.x, Win9x, ME) can't be case sensitive.
I've never heard of anyone making Windows case sensitive. It's a silly idea (IMHO).

Quote:
2) Calibre has Export/Import for going between Mac/Win/Linux. Best to install same version Calibre on destination as source and upgrade afterwards.
That's just time consuming and (IMHO) useless snd will most likely cause all kinds of issues.

Quote:
3) Migration of Calibre on Windows XP or Win 7 to Linux (and probably Mac) can be done even without Export/Import.
Moving to Linux is a really bad idea. Windows works better.

Quote:
Four options are:
  1. Do nothing
  2. S/H Laptop (some places even have 2 year warranty) with Win 10 or Win11
  3. New Laptop with Win 11
  4. Linux (but needs 64 bit CPU & OS for Calibre after 5.44). Linux 64 bit can even be installed on laptops/tablet/PC with 32 bit bios or UEFI that only runs 32 bit Win7 and defunct 32 bit Win10, as long as the CPU has 64 bits and 1.5 G free RAM after graphics steals some of the 2G, though it's tricker.
A 5th option used to be Intel Hackintosh, but that's pointless now and might not run latest Calibre.
The only real options are...
  • Upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 10 64-bit. There's no reason to still be running Windows 7.
  • Buy a new laptop that comes with Windows 11
  • Put the laptop in the closet and forget it exists

Quote:
There are probably loads of options. Tower/desktop PCs are often free due to offices switching to laptops. Those will run Linux or Win 10 (few can run Win 11, often no TPM for a start, which is proven now to be worthless). They might have less than FHD LCDs, but 1024 x 768 is workable. A decent screen is about €250.
A non-laptop is not a replacement for a laptop. SO that again is another bad idea.
Old 05-03-2024, 02:24 PM   #9
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
I've never heard of anyone making Windows case sensitive. It's a silly idea (IMHO).
People have been doing that for over 25 years. Some people need it.
Also Calibre doesn't work well with FAT32 on Windows, but works perfectly with NTFS or Ext4 on Linux simply by copying everything.

Quote:
That's just time consuming and (IMHO) useless snd will most likely cause all kinds of issues.
No more time consuming than copying to a new Win 10 (near EOL?) or new Win 11 install.
I can buy a S/H laptop here locally with 2 year warranty for Win10 (some will run Win 11). It's a real alternative to a new laptop.

Quote:
Moving to Linux is a really bad idea. Windows works better.
Oh, absolutely true from NT 3.1 (1993) till about 2006 or 2007 (XP).
Not been true since even before Vista. It's been a very reasonable alternative since Win8 came unless you needed some application unavailable. Need an older XP or Vista or win 7 32 bit program that doesn't run on Win10 or win 11 64 bit? MS bundled compatibility solution is actually Vbox, same as included with Linux. The MS tool to clone an old PC/Laptop for a Win10 VM makes a file that works on Linux. It's the same VBox essentially.

I do have a win 10 laptop and encountered this. Being that I know how to manually change the not-user partitions I was able to sort this. Most window users would not understand the MS instructions.
https://www.theregister.com/2024/05/...y_environment/

Lots of people have laptops but don't actually take them anywhere. A non-laptop thus can be a cheap alternative, but I have a UPS for my Dell Optiplex 7050 to have laptop piece of mind on power glitches. It was €150 S/H with a 512 GB SSD and 16 G RAM and local (no shipping) 2 year warranty. I easily plugged in a DVD /CD writer from a scrapped laptop and an additional 4T Sata 3.5" HDD. You can fit 2x 2.5" SATA in the caddy.

I have a much newer laptop, but the 7050 is so much better.

Many people only use a tablet/phone OTG now and it's just people using libraries, cafes, hot-desking, mixing WFH & office etc that need laptops.

But a good enough S/H laptop with warranty is cheap. Non-gamer ones are cheap new. A Mac laptop is far more expensive.
You can also buy new laptops without Windows.
Old 05-03-2024, 04:35 PM   #10
fidvo
Addict
fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for your responses, everyone. Sounds like it's a little too risky to run both versions on the same libraries, so I'm not going to try.

By the way, for those who suggested I upgrade or replace that old machine (and are probably laughing behind my back for having such an old computer), it's not my primary or even secondary computer. I have a desktop that I use when I'm at home, and a Win 10 laptop for when I'm not. The old laptop, as obsolete as it is, still works fine for most of what I do. I only keep it around in case there's a problem with my main laptop.

I was asking about Calibre specifically because I use it not just for books, but for music and movies as well. In my opinion it's a better media organizer than any other media organizer out there, despite not being designed for that purpose. My entire movie and music collections are dependent on Calibre, and that old laptop is perfectly adequate for watching movies and listening to music.

Once I upgrade Calibre I won't run it on the old laptop anymore, which is fine. I can still access the files inside the libraries directly, as long as I'm careful not to change anything. I keep my authors and titles nice and tidy, so although it's not as convenient as going through the Calibre interface, it shouldn't be too hard to look up what I want to watch or listen to.
fidvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 04:48 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
People have been doing that for over 25 years. Some people need it.
Also Calibre doesn't work well with FAT32 on Windows, but works perfectly with NTFS or Ext4 on Linux simply by copying everything.

No more time consuming than copying to a new Win 10 (near EOL?) or new Win 11 install.
I can buy a S/H laptop here locally with 2 year warranty for Win10 (some will run Win 11). It's a real alternative to a new laptop.

Oh, absolutely true from NT 3.1 (1993) till about 2006 or 2007 (XP).
Not been true since even before Vista. It's been a very reasonable alternative since Win8 came unless you needed some application unavailable. Need an older XP or Vista or win 7 32 bit program that doesn't run on Win10 or win 11 64 bit? MS bundled compatibility solution is actually Vbox, same as included with Linux. The MS tool to clone an old PC/Laptop for a Win10 VM makes a file that works on Linux. It's the same VBox essentially.

I do have a win 10 laptop and encountered this. Being that I know how to manually change the not-user partitions I was able to sort this. Most window users would not understand the MS instructions.
https://www.theregister.com/2024/05/...y_environment/

Lots of people have laptops but don't actually take them anywhere. A non-laptop thus can be a cheap alternative, but I have a UPS for my Dell Optiplex 7050 to have laptop piece of mind on power glitches. It was €150 S/H with a 512 GB SSD and 16 G RAM and local (no shipping) 2 year warranty. I easily plugged in a DVD /CD writer from a scrapped laptop and an additional 4T Sata 3.5" HDD. You can fit 2x 2.5" SATA in the caddy.

I have a much newer laptop, but the 7050 is so much better.

Many people only use a tablet/phone OTG now and it's just people using libraries, cafes, hot-desking, mixing WFH & office etc that need laptops.

But a good enough S/H laptop with warranty is cheap. Non-gamer ones are cheap new. A Mac laptop is far more expensive.
You can also buy new laptops without Windows.
My wife has a refurbished Macbook Air (M2) that was about the same price as my HP Omen brand new. I do think my HP is better then the Macbook. But at least the Macbook was not an insane price like it was brand new.

The thing is, you don't know that the OP would be happy with a desktop computer instead of a laptop. I know I would not be happy to give up my laptop.

We don't know if the OP's laptop would be perfectly OK with Windows 10. If it would be, then installing Windows 10 64-bit would solve the problem.
Old 05-04-2024, 02:22 AM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
The other Windows tweak you should do if you dual boot is the way Windows stores time Default
Windows stores Local time in the CMOS, everyone else seems to use UTC and apply the TZ offset to the display
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 06:31 AM   #13
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
The other Windows tweak you should do if you dual boot is the way Windows stores time Default
Windows stores Local time in the CMOS, everyone else seems to use UTC and apply the TZ offset to the display
I discovered that problem one autumn in 1997 or 1998.
The HW clock should indeed be UTC!
Even in windows what if different users wanted different timezones?
I think it goes back to early days of DOS and PCs with no RTC HW at all or addin boards. Maybe even CP/M where a RTC was rare.
Practically every other OS uses UTC with no "summer-time" and the local time onscreen is an offset with optional "summer-time".

Oddly IST = Irish Standard Time and is UTC +1, so Ireland has "Winter Time" = IST -1 which = UTC.

Just once the twice yearly time change (started by UK & Germany in WWI) was different between UK and Ireland and it was havoc. So though the EU wants to abolish the twice a year hop (countries closer or in tropics or nearer Arctic such as Iceland doen't do it), they can't because UK won't even though UK left EU, because of N.I. Can't be having a time-zone change on the island of Ireland.

There are other issues with Dual Boot. Linux has better support for R/W other OS filesystems than they have of Ext4 (or any Linux FS, though I think I added Ext2 support on XP back in 2006).

I was dual booting laptops from 1997 or 1998 (NT4.0) till January 2017 (when I removed Windows from the Nov 2016 laptop).

Nowadays with more RAM and better VMs, a VM often makes more sense than dual boot. My Weather Station uses an XP VM that was cloned from my 2002 Laptop. The VM is faster, better graphics (though a Vbox upgrade removed Direct3D support), faster LAN (1Gbps), more disk space (was able to enlarge clone from 120GB). Still same XP that was April 2002 and only ever reinstalled once in June 2002. Pass through of USB devices that only have XP driver works (WINE has poor USB support). I still have that laptop (1600x1200 but the screen hinges flop). It hasn't quite the same (virtual) sound card as laptop MoBo, which now looks like a SB16, mapped to whatever I want on real Linux.

I can copy the VMs via server backup between three Linux systems, the Optiplex 7050 workstation, a 2016 laptop and a 2023 laptop.

I also cloned my Win7 tower PC as a VM copy and installed a spare Win10 licence/DVD from scratch.

I hardly use the VMs. The Win7 one lets me use Itunes to put MP3 on an Iphone (A 4S not used now) and program an LED badge.

I have a 2nd 2016 laptop with more RAM and better CPU/GPU than the Linux one that has up-to-date Win10, but it's just a curiosity and slower than the Linux sibling (both same screen and Lenovo E460).

If I was running a small business (which I used to do) I'd run the payroll and accounts SW on a Windows VM on Linux now. I spent years installing and training Windows for small businesses and sites up to 450 PCs.
We migrated loads of systems from Win9x, DOS and Win3.x to NT3.51, NT4, and XP. We skipped Win2K. Also some OS/2, Novell and interworking with Xenix, Cromix, VAX and AS/400.

I gave training to people in MS EMEA support and Dell Plus. Managed people porting device drivers from Windows to Linux. I setup a computer service company that was employing 11 staff by the time the IBM PC launched in 1981 in the UK.

MS is only interested in selling services now and making Windows into a portal to access those.
Old 05-04-2024, 06:45 AM   #14
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
(and are probably laughing behind my back for having such an old computer), it's not my primary or even secondary computer. I have a desktop that I use when I'm at home, and a Win 10 laptop for when I'm not. The old laptop, as obsolete as it is, still works fine for most of what I do. I only keep it around in case there's a problem with my main laptop..
If the Win7 is installed Legacy Mode, ie BIOS boot, not UEFI boot, even if the laptop has UEFI, there is an MS free tool to clone it and run it as a VM on a newer laptop!

Download here:
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sy...loads/disk2vhd

I found the actual SW had an extra GUI settings and to make file that actually worked (I used a USB backup HDD) it needed different settings. I used it for a 2002 XP Laptop and a generic Win7 tower that someone had used legacy/compatibility boot to install Win7, instead of UEFI even though the Mobo has it, so that worked too.

It's supplied so as to run old SW on a new Win10, that you lost the install disks, or that won't run on win10 64 bit. So intended for the Win10 default VM that's included, but the created file also works fine on Linux with Vbox.

I still have my Jan 2000 Laptop (1440 x 1050 and was NT4/Win98/Win3.11/DOS/Linux multiboot later upgraded to Win2K and Linux removed) in the attic and it worked last year. Needs a new clock battery. The 2002 XP laptop is still in the attic too.

I don't have any CP/M HW now, but I do have an emulator on Linux and XP of the old PCW8512. I gave away my last 8" floppy drive about 10 years ago.

I'm not laughing