View Single Post
Old 04-11-2015, 07:13 PM   #8
CoronarJunkee
CoronarJunkee is on a distinguished road

Device: Onyx Boox M96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Grozny View Post
I might be wrong but AFAIK, M96 lacks IMU/Gyro or other similar devices to recognize its current position and angle.

Calibration doesn't have a landscape/portrait mode in its code, it's a function which can not recognize the devices position and works independently of it.

It is the user who can turn the device to landscape and then enter the calibration process or enter the calibration process and then turn the device - the result is the same because there are no different calibrations (Horizontal/Portrait) but just one.
That's not what I meant to say.

I'm saying this:

If the device calibrates your absolute stylus position in relation to the physical screen, then you can choose to do the calibration process holding the device in whatever position (portrait, landscape, diagonal, upside down) you want. You are right: there is only one mode of calibration which you enter in portrait mode. But even if the device doesn't recognise the way you hold it while calibrating, the results still wouldn't be identical since your stylus is positioned in a different angle. Thus you can use the same calibration mode to calibrate the stylus for a portrait or landscape mode angle.

That means: If you calibrate your stylus holding the device vertically, there will be an offset in scribbling between stylus tip and pencil line when you hold it horizontally and vice versa. That is unless you always hold your stylus perfectly perpendicular to the screen, in which case it should not make any difference in calibration.

I hope that was clearer.

Also, I want to disagree on your last paragraph: The results of both processes you're describing would in fact be very different.

The calibration mode has been programmed in portrait mode. So the upper right calibration point corresponds to the upper right corner of the screen etc. If you only turn the device, the calibration points still correspond to the respective corners of the screen. But if you force your device into landscape mode, the calibration points would not anymore be in the corners the calibration tool thinks they are. Let's say you force 90° clockwise rotation. Then you'd be clicking on a calibration point that's rotated one screen side to the right of what the calibration tool thinks you are actually clicking on. I think the result of your calibration would then be highly confusing for the software to interpret (as in: software tells you to click in the upper left corner but you click in the upper right corner which gets calibrated as upper left).

Last edited by CoronarJunkee; 04-11-2015 at 07:27 PM.
CoronarJunkee is offline   Reply With Quote