View Single Post
Old 05-04-2024, 06:31 AM   #13
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
The other Windows tweak you should do if you dual boot is the way Windows stores time Default
Windows stores Local time in the CMOS, everyone else seems to use UTC and apply the TZ offset to the display
I discovered that problem one autumn in 1997 or 1998.
The HW clock should indeed be UTC!
Even in windows what if different users wanted different timezones?
I think it goes back to early days of DOS and PCs with no RTC HW at all or addin boards. Maybe even CP/M where a RTC was rare.
Practically every other OS uses UTC with no "summer-time" and the local time onscreen is an offset with optional "summer-time".

Oddly IST = Irish Standard Time and is UTC +1, so Ireland has "Winter Time" = IST -1 which = UTC.

Just once the twice yearly time change (started by UK & Germany in WWI) was different between UK and Ireland and it was havoc. So though the EU wants to abolish the twice a year hop (countries closer or in tropics or nearer Arctic such as Iceland doen't do it), they can't because UK won't even though UK left EU, because of N.I. Can't be having a time-zone change on the island of Ireland.

There are other issues with Dual Boot. Linux has better support for R/W other OS filesystems than they have of Ext4 (or any Linux FS, though I think I added Ext2 support on XP back in 2006).

I was dual booting laptops from 1997 or 1998 (NT4.0) till January 2017 (when I removed Windows from the Nov 2016 laptop).

Nowadays with more RAM and better VMs, a VM often makes more sense than dual boot. My Weather Station uses an XP VM that was cloned from my 2002 Laptop. The VM is faster, better graphics (though a Vbox upgrade removed Direct3D support), faster LAN (1Gbps), more disk space (was able to enlarge clone from 120GB). Still same XP that was April 2002 and only ever reinstalled once in June 2002. Pass through of USB devices that only have XP driver works (WINE has poor USB support). I still have that laptop (1600x1200 but the screen hinges flop). It hasn't quite the same (virtual) sound card as laptop MoBo, which now looks like a SB16, mapped to whatever I want on real Linux.

I can copy the VMs via server backup between three Linux systems, the Optiplex 7050 workstation, a 2016 laptop and a 2023 laptop.

I also cloned my Win7 tower PC as a VM copy and installed a spare Win10 licence/DVD from scratch.

I hardly use the VMs. The Win7 one lets me use Itunes to put MP3 on an Iphone (A 4S not used now) and program an LED badge.

I have a 2nd 2016 laptop with more RAM and better CPU/GPU than the Linux one that has up-to-date Win10, but it's just a curiosity and slower than the Linux sibling (both same screen and Lenovo E460).

If I was running a small business (which I used to do) I'd run the payroll and accounts SW on a Windows VM on Linux now. I spent years installing and training Windows for small businesses and sites up to 450 PCs.
We migrated loads of systems from Win9x, DOS and Win3.x to NT3.51, NT4, and XP. We skipped Win2K. Also some OS/2, Novell and interworking with Xenix, Cromix, VAX and AS/400.

I gave training to people in MS EMEA support and Dell Plus. Managed people porting device drivers from Windows to Linux. I setup a computer service company that was employing 11 staff by the time the IBM PC launched in 1981 in the UK.

MS is only interested in selling services now and making Windows into a portal to access those.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote