View Single Post
Old 05-12-2024, 08:18 AM   #2912
aleyx
Addict
aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Bookeen Diva, Kobo Clara BW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
Sorry, but I don't get exactly which "enhancement" you expect or which is the real issue? Resetting the book? 99% not marked as Finished in the ebook? 99% not marked as finished in calibre?
Ideally I would like to let the Kobo mark a book as "Finished" as normal, and if/when it gets updated I would like the book (on the Kobo) to be set as "Unread", and the reading progression set to the first updated chapter. Or alternatively, set the reading progression to the last page if a book is set to "Finished".

Curently the out-of-the-box workflow for a Kobo when reading a serial is (as I understand it):

1) Upload a new book on the Kobo. Read the book until its end: The Kobo reclasses it as "Finished" (this is good). Reading progression is reset (this is not so good).
2) Connect the Kobo to Calibre: column "% read" is set to 100, column "reading location" to "OEBPS/cover.xhtml".
3) The book is updated with new chapters (by FFF or othe means): Use Kobo Utilities to resend the book to the Kobo, then update the ToC.
4) On the Kobo: the updated book is still marked as "Finished" (fair enough), reading progression is still reset: not good, since now I have to check the beginning of the last few chapters and try to remember which one I've read and which I haven't yet.

My workaround right now is to just not "finish" the book and keep the reading progression alive at the very last page.

Pro: I can continue reading where I left off whenever new chapters are added, which is my main concern.
Con: Every book on my Kobo is at 99% progression. Any updated book is therefore lost in a sea of unfinished books. I could manually move the books I "finish" to a custom collection and back again, but... Yeah, no. You don't do library management when you finish a book. You either open another one or you close your book and go to sleep.

FFF's ability to "mark" new chapters is useful, but only if you manage to read every new chapter before the next update. It has no concept of reading progression (it's not its job anyways).

Kobo Utilities' ability to set a reading position is useful, but only if this reading position is known to Calibre. In this usecase, I would have to pause my reading at the last page, connect to Calibre and save the position, unplug and "finish" the book, and restore position when I update the book. Many manipulations, feasible for one book at a time but in practice I follow many, many webseries.

N.
aleyx is offline   Reply With Quote