View Single Post
Old 04-20-2024, 03:53 PM   #833
red.desk6410
red.desk6410 began at the beginning.

Device: Scribe
I just got a Kindle Scribe and it came with 5.16.2 and it's not registered yet.

I tried the JB a few times but I was copying the LanguageBreak directory itself into the root filesystem so no wonder it didn't work after 4 or 5 attempts. I finally realized my error and copied the contents of the directory to the root filesystem and I did get the logs showing on the screen but I had issues with the `Update_hotfix_languagebreak-en-US.bin`.

I read a post that someone had better luck with 5.16.2.0.1 so I managed to update my scribe to that but I have not had any success yet. Here are my steps:

1. Factory reset to start from the beginning via: `touch /mnt/DO_FACTORY_RESTORE` and restart the kindle. It appears to factory reset.
2. Recopy the `update_kindle_scribe_5.16.2.0.1.bin` to the kindle root and restart.
3. I then select english, US then connect to my own hotspot that you need to login, it has internet access but I quickly disable the hotspot so it can't do anything.
4. From the search bar I do `;enter_demo` then restart and I get the wallpaper then I get to the demo menu and sideload the contents of LanguageBreak to root including the .demo dir. Then I go into resell and do the same mounting and unmount - I tried both coping the .demo and not copying the .demo dir over but both to no avail.
5. Upon restart I don't see any more logs and I get the language menu and choose chinese and after restarts I still don't see the logs. Is this because I already saw the logs once and that part has already been done even after factory reset / re-updating the firmware?
6. I then proceed to copy `Update_hotfix_languagebreak-en-US.bin` to the root and do `;dsts` then enter Device -> something -> Update Kindle and select yes and upon reboot I just keep getting update failed in chinese.

I have yet to ever see the mkk directory in my root so I suspect something is in a bad state somewhere and at this point I feel as though this is quite hopeless. I guess my questions for this thread are what I might try either to start from scratch in the event I'm not factory resetting properly or what I might try to finish the JB? I guess failing this, there might be enough telemetry on my device that might prevent me from returning it? FWIW I've jailbroken all of my previous kindles (not on LanguageBreak) just for some reason this one is giving me a really hard time.

Thanks!
red.desk6410 is offline   Reply With Quote