Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-06-2023, 02:25 PM   #16
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I would also be interested in how many people you know, using my definition of a "book reader" who read on there phone and/or tablet.
Most of the readers I know read physical books (especially the young nieces, nephews and cousins), but of the ones that have embraced ereading, I don't know very many with eink devices.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 02:41 PM   #17
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
I would say that about 80% of the people I know who read for pleasure are still reading physical books, about 15% read on a tablet or phone and about 3% use an ereader. The remaining 2% read a mix of physical books and ebooks on multiple devices.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2023, 04:07 PM   #18
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I read some books entirely on my phone (mostly Kindle books with 'audiobook companions'). Very crisp OLED screen and easy to hold.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 05:06 PM   #19
Cactus Chef
Addict
Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Clara HD, Galaxy Tab S5e, Kindle 4th Gen
Wasn't there a Russian-made phone with an e-ink screen that tried to tap into this market?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yota

I wonder how well it sold.
Cactus Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 06:12 PM   #20
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
I have an hour and a half to two hour commute Mon-Fri. I spend it reading my books on my Samsung 6.4 inch 54A phone.

When I went down to visit with my brother for a week, I brought my Samsung 10-inch tablet and did all my reading on that.

When I'm home I read on my pc. My Kobo mostly sits unused.

I converted a Kindle reader into a phone reader. Her Kindle died so she didn't have anything to read on the train. I asked why didn't she read on her phone? She said you can do that? I walked her through downloading the app, and she's been reading on her phone ever since!

Last edited by cfrizz; 12-06-2023 at 06:17 PM.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2023, 07:51 PM   #21
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
I'm about 50/50. In bed, I use my Kobo. Everywhere else, I use my phone with a custom patched version of Lithium.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 12:43 AM   #22
kandwo
Addict
kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
I read a lot on my phone. On the other hand my phone has an e-ink screen (Hisense A9).
kandwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 01:07 AM   #23
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" (retired=Sony PRS650, Kobo Mini)
I read the majority of books on my tablet. Well over 10 books per year.
library addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 02:30 AM   #24
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I read almost exclusively on my phone. Well over 100 book a year.

I used an iPhone with the Kindle app. I don't directly side-load. Any books I have that aren't from Amazon I send to my Amazon account using the SendToKindle app.

Last edited by pdurrant; 12-07-2023 at 03:30 AM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 02:46 AM   #25
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I don't read on a phone. I find it too uncomfortable and it's another device I have to connect and sideload the ebook and iPhones are not that friendly to sideload to. It's been so long, I don't even remember how I used to do it.
Same with my iPad.

My reading is split between my Libra 2 or sitting at my PC.
Though I am more inclined to sit at my PC as I can use google maps/images to search where the story is taking place and better visualise it.
Also, when using the Libra 2 for extended periods, I tend to become drowsy while reclined in my very comfortable chair.
Karellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 03:47 AM   #26
Wiggo
Leftutti
Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, Kobo Libra 2
I read 100% of my ebooks on an iPad 12". I also have a Kobo Libra2, but it's gathering dust in the corner.
Wiggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 04:12 AM   #27
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karellen View Post
I don't read on a phone. I find it too uncomfortable and it's another device I have to connect and sideload the ebook and iPhones are not that friendly to sideload to. It's been so long, I don't even remember how I used to do it.
Same with my iPad.
When I want to read a book on my phone (admittedly seldom) I just download it from Dropbox, where I keep one of my library backups. I've never connected my phone to my computers.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 06:48 AM   #28
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
For the last decade I've only read on 6" Eink, first B&N, then Onyx.
Only in rare cases when I am out without my Eink and hit an unexpected delay will I bite the bullet and read on my phone.

It seems like 10 books a year is an acknowledged threshold.
I'm amazed that something like 1/4 of Americans admit to not reading a single book in the last year.
Book readership seems to be declining. Too much streaming?

It's surprising that ebook readership in 65+ is so low. You'd think that 7-8" devices and larger fonts would be a big attraction for many. Having the duplication of Large Print in libaries seems inefficient.

Last edited by Renate; 12-07-2023 at 06:53 AM.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 07:34 AM   #29
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I see a lot of posts that the majority of people read books on their phone and tablet. I do wonder, for those who are "book readers", how many read the majority of books on their phone.

I'll define a "book reader" as someone who reads at least 10 books a year. So how many "book readers" do you know that read the majority of their books on their phone or tablet?
I'd call myself a reader, at over 200 books a year. I read graphic novels on my tablet, audiobooks on my phone, and most plain text novels on my kobo (occasionally reading one on my phone or iPad mini).
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 06:12 PM   #30
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
For the last decade I've only read on 6" Eink, first B&N, then Onyx.
Only in rare cases when I am out without my Eink and hit an unexpected delay will I bite the bullet and read on my phone.

It seems like 10 books a year is an acknowledged threshold.
I'm amazed that something like 1/4 of Americans admit to not reading a single book in the last year.
Book readership seems to be declining. Too much streaming?

It's surprising that ebook readership in 65+ is so low. You'd think that 7-8" devices and larger fonts would be a big attraction for many. Having the duplication of Large Print in libaries seems inefficient.
It's probably because old people HATE change. Even if it makes their lives 50% easier, they will stick to their old way rather than learn something new. Especially if it involves a gadget!

I probably go through 100-150 books a year. As soon as I finish one I open another.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote