Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 05-06-2024, 05:30 PM   #16
Dal Bhat
Dal Bhat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 11th Gen
Re: updates, if the Kindle is working fine and the book covers are all visible, and this in airplane mode, then why do any upgrade? Unless there is anything there that is just too nice and shiny to pass up, why bother? For example, in the latest for the 11th Gen that I have, the update included

Quote:
Sleep Timer: Set how long your Kindle waits before going to the lock screen from Settings > Device Options.

Library Search Filter: Search results can now be filtered by subscription type and reading format.
Don't know about you, but that's not enough to make me want to update over the air.

Besides that, you can download an update, copy to the Kindle via usb, restart it, and the upgrade will install, without going off airplane mode.

Finally, many of them simply say "performance improvements" or "general enhancements". Really, especially the older a Kindle gets, what can one hope to get out of it that will make your reading experience any more "enhanced". Color me skeptical.

Now that I have discovered Calibre, my Kindle is a deaf and dumb reading appliance for good.
Dal Bhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 11:53 AM   #17
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I am still trying to figure out if this can still happen with the latest firmware, which provides Date and Time option to Set automatically.

9th generation and earlier Kindles did not get this feature, but I don't have one of these.

Can someone tell me exactly what you are doing (which format are you side loading etc.) so I can try to reproduce it on one of my Kindles?

So far I have not been able to reproduce it (even going so far as to remove the folder calibre puts there to restore thumbnails after they are removed).

Of course at the moment the Amazon service that supplies thumbnails seems to be having problems, so I'll need to wait until that's working again.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 03:14 PM   #18
oldman
oldman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 11
Cover Image never added

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Can someone tell me exactly what you are doing (which format are you side loading etc.) so I can try to reproduce it on one of my Kindles?
I have converted to .azw3 and .mobi from epub using Calibre. I am using the content server via web browser. The books download to my Kindle Papwerwhite 11 but there are no covers.

I can't email it from Calibre because... 32MB

I can upload the .epub using the mac Send to Kindle.app and the cover appears fine.

When looking at the coverless book and I click on the menu and select "See in Store" from Kindle I get a message:

Quote:
Invalid ASIN
We're sorry. The ASIN selected is not valid for Digital purchase on the Kindle. Please continue shopping on the Kindle Store.
Beforehand I went to the Kindle version of this book and copied the ASIN, pasted it into metadata in Calibre:
mobi-asin:B07Z45QM3K
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 04:39 AM   #19
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
I have converted to .azw3 and .mobi from epub using Calibre. I am using the content server via web browser. The books download to my Kindle Papwerwhite 11 but there are no covers.

I can't email it from Calibre because... 32MB

I can upload the .epub using the mac Send to Kindle.app and the cover appears fine.

When looking at the coverless book and I click on the menu and select "See in Store" from Kindle I get a message:

Beforehand I went to the Kindle version of this book and copied the ASIN, pasted it into metadata in Calibre:
mobi-asin:B07Z45QM3K
Thanks, but I don't see how that is related to having side loaded covers removed. This is the scenario I'd like to try to reproduce.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote