Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-12-2023, 03:21 PM   #1
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Gathering requirements for Kindle Scribe Notebook Manager

I am starting to work on a script to leverage @jhowell's stellar work on KFX Input plugin, which is now able to convert Scribe's nbk files into FXL ePub files that contain SVGs for each page (one for template, if any, another for the annotations).

These are some use cases / requirements I've collected so far:
Quote:
Why KSNM?
  • Amazon will store the latest version of a Notebook, but this will provide a way to review and even restore previous snapshots
  • Preserves stroke detail, and has separate layers for template and user pen strokes. Amazon's current export flattens both to raster image for each page
  • open source toolchain that can be modified as desired
  • private, secure: does not use any internet services
Use cases
  • enable backup and restore of specific Notebook versions
  • script the conversion to ePub
  • enable export of SVG's for re-use (place into word processing documents, graphics documents, etc.)
  • store ePub (with a .zip containing the nbk) in a dedicated notebook catalog in calibre with cover and metadata, including the GUID identifying the notebook.
  • enable export of pen annotations made to books and personal documents to ePub, but without any versioning. Optionally store in Notebooks catalog.
Known limitations
  • It's not possible to determine the Notebook Title or Folder name. This information is not available in the nbk file or in user storage.
  • Pen annotations will be able to reference Title/Author of the corresponding book or document. And while it is technically possible to attach a location (it's found in the annotations data file in the associated .sdr folder), KFX Input is (by design) only concerned with basic conversion tasks. (At some point, I'll figure out how to add raw location data as an additional step, just to provide some additional context.)
Assuming I am able to create a minimal viable product, the obvious next step would be to create a calibre plugin. But first things first.

I welcome feedback and suggestions. I hope to have some code to share in a week or two.

Last edited by tomsem; 06-12-2023 at 03:41 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 04:46 AM   #2
thereisthat
thereisthat began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Hi, I am interested on this and can help out if help is needed. My main use case would be offline view of the notebooks on my PC in high resolution.
thereisthat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2024, 09:04 AM   #3
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
QUOTE:
“It's not possible to determine the Notebook Title or Folder name. This information is not available in the nbk file or in user storage.”

How about /var/local/ databases? I have a feeling they might be in cc.db with proper notebook identifiers.
mergen3107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 03:53 PM   #4
Fitz Frobozz
Fitz Frobozz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Great project idea. Is this still in the works? How can other folks be of help?
Fitz Frobozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 04:13 PM   #5
Retired_Trout
Retired_Trout began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Gen 11 | Kindle Scribe Gen 1
I'm also interested in this project.
Retired_Trout is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert