Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-06-2024, 12:48 PM   #61
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You don't need a prime subscription. You just need to pay more for shipping.
That still won't work in a lot of the UK. It's impossible.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 01:33 PM   #62
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
That still won't work in a lot of the UK. It's impossible.
Other then the islands, were won't it work?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2024, 07:06 PM   #63
robertpolson
Connoisseur
robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: none
Any thoughts on these comaprison images?

Kobo Libra Colour vs Onyx Boox Mini Tab C
robertpolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 07:28 PM   #64
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolson View Post
Any thoughts on these comaprison images?

Kobo Libra Colour vs Onyx Boox Mini Tab C
Yes. I would not buy either of them - Kaleido screens just aren't good enough. YMMV.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 11:16 PM   #65
TheSmitty
Addict
TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite SE, Libra 2, Oasis 3, Boox Note Air 3C, iPad Pro 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Yes. I would not buy either of them - Kaleido screens just aren't good enough. YMMV.
Yes it is all a matter of opinion. If you want bright and vibrant color then get an iPad. I have Libra Colour and a Note Air 3C and the color on the Libra is a bit better than the NA3C. For graphic novels/ manga I find the color acceptable to me knowing what it is. If I want ultra color then I pull out the iPad. To each their own.
There is not, as of yet, a one stop solution and I do not expect one for a long time.
TheSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2024, 05:57 AM   #66
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, PW SE & Kindle 2022, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I agree. I would love a colour reader but I like a nice bright white screen and read at light setting of 80% normally during the day. In sunlight that light washes out so I could never read on a naturally grey screen.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 08:42 AM   #67
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe, Oasis, Clara 2E, Libra 2, Libra Colour
I have ereaders, an iPad and a great laptop. For my ereader, this color is plenty good enough for me - I love the washed out pastel aesthetic in my picture books:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4046.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	1.57 MB
ID:	208102   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4048.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	1.54 MB
ID:	208103   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4051.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	1.57 MB
ID:	208104  

Last edited by Pjama; 05-07-2024 at 01:30 PM. Reason: Added the crucial word 'is' :D
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 08:48 AM   #68
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSmitty View Post
Yes it is all a matter of opinion. If you want bright and vibrant color then get an iPad.
No, not an iPad. Too shiny screen, no SD card socket and Apple tax. Unless you have to have iPad for a school etc, there are many better solutions.
Old 05-07-2024, 07:08 PM   #69
CosmicRay
CosmicRay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CosmicRay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CosmicRay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CosmicRay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CosmicRay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CosmicRay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CosmicRay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CosmicRay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CosmicRay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CosmicRay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CosmicRay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
I finally decided to get out my camera gear and do a detailed, proper comparison: https://changelog.complete.org/archi...e-kobo-libra-2

Long and short of it is: If I had the Kobo Libra Colour and did mostly B&W reading, and somebody handed me the Kobo Libra 2, I'd go, "Wow, what an upgrade!" I really, really wanted to like the Libra Colour but I think I will have to return it.
CosmicRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 12:40 AM   #70
robertpolson
Connoisseur
robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: none
I placed an order for PockerBook Era Color via Amazon. I should have it on May 9. Will compare it to Libra Colour to see if I should go ahead with my return label for Kobo or not.
robertpolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 07:15 AM   #71
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicRay View Post
I finally decided to get out my camera gear and do a detailed, proper comparison: https://changelog.complete.org/archi...e-kobo-libra-2

Long and short of it is: If I had the Kobo Libra Colour and did mostly B&W reading, and somebody handed me the Kobo Libra 2, I'd go, "Wow, what an upgrade!" I really, really wanted to like the Libra Colour but I think I will have to return it.
Quote:
These were the mistakes they made:

Being videos. Photos would show the differences in better detail.
Shooting videos with cameras with automatic light levels. Since the thing we’re trying to evaluate here is how much darker the Kobo Libra Colour screen is than the Kobo Libra screen, having a camera that automatically adjusts for brighter or darker images defeats the purpose. Cell phone cameras (still and video) all do this by default and I saw evidence of it in all the videos.
Placing the two devices side-by-side instead of in identical locations for subsequent shots. This led to different shadows on each device (because OF COURSE the people shooting videos had to have their phone and head between the light source and the device), again preventing a good comparison.
So I dug out my Canon DSLR, tripod, and set up shots. Every shot here is set at ISO 100. Every shot in the same setting has the same exposure settings, which I document. The one thing I forgot to shut off was automatic white balance; you can notice it is active if you look closely at the backgrounds, but WB isn’t really relevant to this comparison anyhow.
My emphasis.
Thanks.

Certain diagonal mono patterns will give false coloured lines, if it's in "mono" mode.

Last edited by Quoth; 05-08-2024 at 07:19 AM.
Old 05-08-2024, 07:20 AM   #72
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:

This is superb. Thanks for putting your skills and know-how to work and taking the time to do this
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 08:14 AM   #73
Anghirrim
Seeking for Graal
Anghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Forma / Onyx Boox Page
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycojesus View Post
I don't know where you are but the FNAC in Lyon, commercial center Part-Dieu had one on display when I went there to collect my pre-ordered one april 30th.
I went to Darty (so Fnac group) Nantes. Lyon is way too far.

For now, I have just got a second hand Boox Page on LeBonCoin to see if Android is a plus. I'm still unsure whether I should stick to Kobo or not. I love it for reading devices, but if color gets into the equation... Android might be necessary as I don't read comics on eReaders.
Anghirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 10:45 AM   #74
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

Excellent photos and very well done comparison.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 10:42 AM   #75
Frogm4n
Zealot
Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
EDIT: NVM. Morning brain. I answered my own question by finally comprehending that the final photos are with the screen colors inverted, not the device physically inverted.
Frogm4n is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
color, libra