Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-06-2024, 12:51 PM   #16
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pen&Paper View Post
I read in dark mode at night, not to save power, only because it's better for my eyes in my bedroom with no lights on.

Seeing how much battery the Libra was consuming, I thought maybe it has to do with dark mode on a colour screen? Like if the dark was a colour? I know, it's probably silly.
No, dark mode doesn't affect it. Also it's a mono screen as are all LCDs. The eink colour is purely from the printed pattern of translucent pastel coloured dots.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 03:21 PM   #17
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
The reason for my running the battery down to 1-2% and then recharging to 100% a couple of time was to try to calibrate the battery meter.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2024, 04:05 PM   #18
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
The LC also has a faster processor, which will usually use more battery.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 04:17 PM   #19
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
The reason for my running the battery down to 1-2% and then recharging to 100% a couple of time was to try to calibrate the battery meter.
I tried to do that, but my Libra's meter was so wildly off that it would shut off when it said it had 30% left, so I ended up charging from 0% to 100%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
The LC also has a faster processor, which will usually use more battery.
It depends on the CPU. Sometimes a faster CPU can accomplish the same amount of work in less time, so it will spend more time sleeping than a slower CPU and thus use less power.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 05:04 PM   #20
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pen&Paper View Post
I understand, but it’s a it disappointing.

It is disappointing, and that’s probably why they added a larger battery.

Have you calibrated your battery yet? Draining it down to 0% and then charging it back up to 100% can’t hurt. That’s what I’m doing right now like David has done.

It might be worthwhile to calibrate it, then while it’s up at 100% to not use it for a day, but track its battery levels. If it’s dropping significantly just sitting there, you can argue for a replacement.
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2024, 05:12 PM   #21
TheSmitty
Addict
TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite SE, Libra 2, Oasis 3, Boox Note Air 3C, iPad Pro 11
Quote:
Curious how you did that? Simple use or let it sit for hours with no sleep and brightness up?

Simple use until it popped up the 10% left message and then reading until the battery popup hit the trigger level.

Last edited by DNSB; 05-06-2024 at 09:30 PM.
TheSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 05:07 AM   #22
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
My battery goes down 2 - 3 % / hour reading a novel, with light between 10 and 40%

Of course, it goes down much faster if I'm playing around with graphic content.

Either way, battery meter has been consistent and stable. (ie, no sudden drops.)
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 04:00 PM   #23
The_Enobee
The_Enobee began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
So far my reading stats have clocked 2.1 hours of reading (text/novel), and I've gone from 57% to 45%. That's out of the box, no charging (other than whatever traces occur during sideloading), sideloading around a dozen books, and a lot of fiddling with settings and trying out a comic book. Wifi on and brightness set anywhere from 10-50%.

Coming from a Sage, I'm pleasantly surprised at the battery life so far. And personally, I don't mind trading battery consumption (to a point) for using the lights as needed and the snappy performance.
The_Enobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 05:13 PM   #24
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe, Oasis, Clara 2E, Libra 2, Libra Colour
30.9 hours of reading for me so far - I've charged it a couple of times, have wifi on permanently, haven't checked whether bluetooth is on or off ever, syncing regularly to send puzzles and other documents to it. Read books with text, such as Patricia Highsmith, and comic books such as Asterix, and looked at many picture books. When reading text, I ofter have the light down at 20-30%, when looking at color content, can be up at 80 - 100%. Been doing plenty of reading, highlighting, writing with the stylus!

No worries at all regarding battery life for me.
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 05:17 PM   #25
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
I finished recalibrating the battery just past midnight on Tuesday. Since then, I have put 2.2 hours of reading in and have done extensive notebook work where I had my LC propped up with an open notebook for reference while I wrote a book on my computer. Its energy setting during that session was changed to 15 minutes before sleeping. My backlight is generally at 30%, though I had it at 100% during my writing session.

I am currently at 59% power.

All of that would have killed my older iPad’s battery and forced a recharge. I’m pleased with how the LC’s battery is taking my abuse. I definitely recommend recalibrating your battery. If your battery results are worse than the results folks have shared with you here, you might have a bad battery.
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 05:23 PM   #26
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
It's also worth noting that battery life will vary substantially for reading vs writing. Notebooks require significant CPU to process your strokes, whereas reading uses pretty much no CPU except to check whether you're trying to turn the page. Battery life will be much worse for writing than for reading, even if you pump up the frontlight.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 05:32 PM   #27
TheSmitty
Addict
TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
... I definitely recommend recalibrating your battery. If your battery results are worse than the results folks have shared with you here, you might have a bad battery.
How does one recalibrate the battery?
Old 05-08-2024, 05:43 PM   #28
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSmitty View Post
How does one recalibrate the battery?
See messages #3 and #17 in this thread or you can look at the Battery Calibration thread from the distant past.

Basically, in most cases, 2 or 3 full discharge/recharge cycles should do the trick.
Old 05-08-2024, 05:47 PM   #29
TheSmitty
Addict

Quote:
See messages #3 and #17 in this thread or you can look at the Battery Calibration thread from the distant past.

Basically, in most cases, 2 or 3 full discharge/recharge cycles should do the trick.
Thanks for response, I was not very clear in what I was curious about, my bad. How do you suggest running it down to 1-2% before recharge? I guess could set sleep to never, turn brightness up to max, wifi on and just let it sit but was unsure if that is a good way to do it.
Old 05-08-2024, 06:16 PM   #30
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSmitty View Post
Thanks for response, I was not very clear in what I was curious about, my bad. How do you suggest running it down to 1-2% before recharge? I guess could set sleep to never, turn brightness up to max, wifi on and just let it sit but was unsure if that is a good way to do it.
I just read on it until it hits that point.