Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old Yesterday, 01:28 PM   #46
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Is it possible to exchange it under warranty?
It would be nice if I could, but my bet is that attempted rooting voids the warranty!
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:55 PM   #47
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
apparently
I'll bet that it's analogous.
If it isn't I can figure out what it is anyway.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:07 PM   #48
plainbriny
Enthusiast
plainbriny began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Glowlight 3, Glowlight 4, Hyread Gaze Mini+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
I haven't looked into it much, but my BNRV1100 wakes up with the home button and then you have to swipe at the bottom to open it, despite my security in Settings being "none".
This is the default behavior.

However on my GL3, I don't have to swipe to unlock. I think that's because I have installed N+ toolkit by RyogoNA and tweaked settings about screensaver. Maybe it's also possible to disable this "swipe to unlock" on GL4 as well?
plainbriny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:05 PM   #49
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've pretty much abandoned B&N anyway.

I know people have very personal preferences on this stuff, but I don't see how anybody who has experienced auto sleep Hall effect sensor covers could ever tolerate this click and swipe stuff. Or even just click.

Do people actually carry around ereaders without covers or soft sacks?
I used to have a neoprene-ish sleeve for my older Nooks.
Heck, if the reader had Hall effect sensors you could glue a magnet on the outside.
Old Yesterday, 08:22 PM   #50
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:

Yes.

I'm surprised you've been on MR since 2012 and haven't seen the pushback against Jon saying "you have to have a cover".
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:02 PM   #51
Renate
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I'm surprised you've been on MR since 2012 and haven't seen the pushback against Jon saying "you have to have a cover".
No, I haven't seen that.
I hope that I would never say "have to" to someone here.

I am crazy about having pristine monitor and ereader screens.
With my "front only" cover flap on the Poke5, the back gets scratched, but I don't care.
My crappy Android phone often accidentally shares a pocket with keys and has a lot of scratches on it.

Visiting some relatives, every member of the family had an ereader lying around, sans cover.
Old Today, 04:38 AM   #52
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I don't carry my ereaders around, I only read at home. So I don't use covers. When not reading, they're in sleeves.

That said, my Kobos don't need to be swiped to awake. I just push the power button. Takes no more effort than opening a cover would (yes, I've used sleep covers in the distant past).

Quote:
I am crazy about having pristine monitor and ereader screens.
So am I, and if I toted my ereaders around while going out, I'd use a cover.

Last edited by Sirtel; Today at 04:42 AM.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:40 AM   #53
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Quote:

Visiting some relatives, every member of the family had an ereader lying around, sans cover.
So do they not carry around thers ereaders, or do they put them in covers when they carry them?
Old Today, 06:49 AM   #54
Renate
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
So do they not carry around thers ereaders, or do they put them in covers when they carry them?
Actually, when I think of it, some of them do have homemade felt sleeves for when they throw it in the backpack.
But most of them were Kindles anyway, so who cares?
Old Today, 08:51 AM   #55
John F
Grand Sorcerer

FWIW, I never have a cover, sleeve, case, ... on my reader. I carry it in my back pocket, backpack, beach bag, ... I don't see any imperfections. This is a Clara 2E.
Old Today, 11:20 AM   #56
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post
It would be nice if I could, but my bet is that attempted rooting voids the warranty!
I would try it anyway if it's still in warranty.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:27 AM   #57
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
I know people have very personal preferences on this stuff, but I don't see how anybody who has experienced auto sleep Hall effect sensor covers could ever tolerate this click and swipe stuff. Or even just click.
The screen and page turn buttons is what keeps me going back to my Glowlight 3 (the one without the newest firmware, that still has hyphenation). Still the best warm light screen that I have. And, for me, if I click the button on top, it's just a matter of clicking the button again when I want to continue reading (I usually turn my readers completely off unless I'm planning to come right back to them).
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:55 AM   #58
Renate
Wizard

This is my Glow3.
I thought I had a photo of it already, but that was a NST doing the same duty.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	status1.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	161.8 KB
ID:	208099