Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 05-12-2024, 06:24 AM   #2911
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleyx View Post
My current workaround is to convert to .kepub and use the precise page numbering to make sure not to actually close the book. It technically works, but I now have to deal with all my books staying at 99% read, making it hard to know which books I've actually finished...

I know that this plugin's original author is no longer with us, but I wanted to know whether someone else was working on an enhancement for this particular issue, before I fire up PyCharm and start tinkering on it myself? Or maybe a better workaround/workflow?
Sorry, but I don't get exactly which "enhancement" you expect or which is the real issue? Resetting the book? 99% not marked as Finished in the ebook? 99% not marked as finished in calibre?
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2024, 08:18 AM   #2912
aleyx
Addict
aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Bookeen Diva, Kobo Clara BW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
Sorry, but I don't get exactly which "enhancement" you expect or which is the real issue? Resetting the book? 99% not marked as Finished in the ebook? 99% not marked as finished in calibre?
Ideally I would like to let the Kobo mark a book as "Finished" as normal, and if/when it gets updated I would like the book (on the Kobo) to be set as "Unread", and the reading progression set to the first updated chapter. Or alternatively, set the reading progression to the last page if a book is set to "Finished".

Curently the out-of-the-box workflow for a Kobo when reading a serial is (as I understand it):

1) Upload a new book on the Kobo. Read the book until its end: The Kobo reclasses it as "Finished" (this is good). Reading progression is reset (this is not so good).
2) Connect the Kobo to Calibre: column "% read" is set to 100, column "reading location" to "OEBPS/cover.xhtml".
3) The book is updated with new chapters (by FFF or othe means): Use Kobo Utilities to resend the book to the Kobo, then update the ToC.
4) On the Kobo: the updated book is still marked as "Finished" (fair enough), reading progression is still reset: not good, since now I have to check the beginning of the last few chapters and try to remember which one I've read and which I haven't yet.

My workaround right now is to just not "finish" the book and keep the reading progression alive at the very last page.

Pro: I can continue reading where I left off whenever new chapters are added, which is my main concern.
Con: Every book on my Kobo is at 99% progression. Any updated book is therefore lost in a sea of unfinished books. I could manually move the books I "finish" to a custom collection and back again, but... Yeah, no. You don't do library management when you finish a book. You either open another one or you close your book and go to sleep.

FFF's ability to "mark" new chapters is useful, but only if you manage to read every new chapter before the next update. It has no concept of reading progression (it's not its job anyways).

Kobo Utilities' ability to set a reading position is useful, but only if this reading position is known to Calibre. In this usecase, I would have to pause my reading at the last page, connect to Calibre and save the position, unplug and "finish" the book, and restore position when I update the book. Many manipulations, feasible for one book at a time but in practice I follow many, many webseries.

N.
aleyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2024, 08:35 AM   #2913
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
on: Every book on my Kobo is at 99% progression. Any updated book is therefore lost in a sea of unfinished books.
About this... order by date, they will appear at the beginning.

Quote:
I could manually move the books I "finish" to a custom collection and back again, but... Yeah, no. You don't do library management when you finish a book. You either open another one or you close your book and go to sleep.
Add a custom column that is set to a value when the book is updated, and reset when the progress reach 99%. Create a collection in Kobo based on this custom column. You don't do any manual process here, and you have a collection with the books you've changed.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2024, 10:50 AM   #2914
aleyx
Addict
aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Quote:
About this... order by date, they will appear at the beginning.
The Kobo Clara proposes sorting by "recent" (which is the "last opened" date) or "Date added". Neither is the update datetime. I've tried to look for a way to set the "date added" to the update date, but haven't found any yet.

Quote:
Add a custom column that is set to a value when the book is updated, and reset when the progress reach 99%. Create a collection in Kobo based on this custom column. You don't do any manual process here, and you have a collection with the books you've changed.
I will try that, thanks!

N.
Old 05-12-2024, 01:05 PM   #2915
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Read this:

https://github.com/JimmXinu/FanFicFa...d-fics-to-kobo

Additionally, I use this template in a composite column. It displays fanfic chapters as currentchap/totalchap.

Code:
program:

input = $#kobobookmark;
# Don't change this to 'count' as that's a function
	ccount = $$#chaptercount;

if 
## Checks that a Fanfiction has a Kobo bookmark and is not anthology|oneshot
## You may want to use '$#fandomcolumn' instead of '$#booktype=='Fanfiction''
		$#booktype=='Fanfiction'
		&& 
		substr(input, 0, 10) == 'OEBPS/file'
		&& !$#fanficstatus in 'Anthology,Oneshot'
	then
## Extracts the 'current chapter' from the bookmarks, subtracts 1, and then formats them as 'currentchap/totalchap'
## You can remove the '- 1' if you want, just make sure to leave the comma.
			strcat(format_number(re(input, '.*\/file(\d+).*', '\1') - 1, '{0:,d}'), '/',ccount)

## Display 'Not Set' if there's no chapter count
	elif
		ccount == 'None'
	then
		'Not Set'

## Display regular chapter count for other books that have at least two chapters
	elif
		$#booktype=='Fanfiction' || ccount >#1
	then
		ccount
	fi

Last edited by ownedbycats; 05-12-2024 at 01:10 PM.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2024, 02:17 PM   #2916
aleyx
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Read this:

https://github.com/JimmXinu/FanFicFa...d-fics-to-kobo

Additionally, I use this template in a composite column. It displays fanfic chapters as currentchap/totalchap.
Thank you; I did find a previous version of your composite in my research (that one didn't have the "Not Set" part), and I adapted it. However it seems to only work for books you are currently reading: if you finished it, the current chapter becomes "OEBPS/cover.xhtml" instead of "OEBPS/file####.xtml" and breaks the template.

This Clara BW of mine is my first Kobo though; maybe previous devices/firmware had a different behaviour regarding reading position?

Your column is actually the reason I wanted to start tinkering with the plugin, starting by adding a custom column for the current number of chapters as per the Kobo database rather than the filename, and why I first asked if someone else was already thinking about it.

N.
Old 05-12-2024, 02:22 PM   #2917
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What I do is leave it at 99% on the Kobo. Then in Calibre I deliberately change it to 100% and then restore the bookmark to device (setting reading status). This keeps the current reading position.
Old 05-12-2024, 02:29 PM   #2918
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

If you want, try this Action Chain while your device is connected. I use it myself.

You'll want to check the template in the single-field edit action and update the columns to your own.

Code:
program:
	input = $#kobobookmark;
	status = $#fanficstatus;
	percent = $$#percentread;

if 
		'(In-Progress|Dormant)' in status 
		&& percent ==# 99
	then
		a = re(input, '^OEBPS/file(\d{4})(\.xhtml.*$)', '\1');
 		strcat('OEBPS/file', format_number(add(a, 1), '04d'), '.xhtml#kobo.1.1')
	else 
		input
	fi
Make sure not to open the book on device before the next update, it'll reset to the beginning.
Attached Files
File Type: zip FanficAsRead.zip (3.8 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by ownedbycats; 05-12-2024 at 06:00 PM.
Old 05-13-2024, 01:14 PM   #2919
aleyx
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
If you want, try this Action Chain while your device is connected. I use it myself.
I didn't know about Action Chains! Oh, this is going to be fun, thanks!

N.

Tags
kobo, kobo utilities