Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 07-01-2021, 04:06 AM   #1
markymark1
markymark1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Kobo Touch Extended transfer issue

Hello, I just got a Clara HD and used Calibre to move my .epubs to it so they beecome .kepubs.epub. I couldn't transfer one book because it maybe was too large. It is Summa Theologica by St. Thomas Aquinas, size is 9.8mb. This is the error message I received.

calibre, version 5.22.1
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

can't start new thread

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre\gui2\device.py", line 89, in run
File "calibre\gui2\device.py", line 595, in _upload_books
File "calibre_plugins.kobotouch_extended.device.driver" , line 406, in upload_books
File "calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 2137, in upload_books
File "calibre_plugins.kobotouch_extended.device.driver" , line 217, in _modify_epub
File "calibre_plugins.kobotouch_extended.container" , line 133, in __init__
File "calibre_plugins.kobotouch_extended.container" , line 417, in __run_async_over_content
File "calibre_plugins.kobotouch_extended.container" , line 409, in __run_async
File "calibre_plugins.kobotouch_extended.container" , line 409, in <listcomp>
File "threading.py", line 852, in start
RuntimeError: can't start new thread

Would anyone happen to know what went wrong and if I could transfer this book?
markymark1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 05:31 AM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
If you are running 32 bit calibre try using the 64 bit edition.

Surprised the error message doesn't show bitedness.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2021, 05:40 AM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
This is a problem that has noticed a bit recently with the KoboTouchExtended driver. It is related to how the driver makes the changes to the books. It probably means there are a lot of internal files that need to be change. I will look at changing this when I have time. But, if you are running the 32bit version of calibre, updating to the 64bit version will probably solve it. Or at least push the problem off for a much larger book.

If that doesn't work, you can also try converting the book using the Kepub Output plugin. I won't be surprised if that fails for the same reason as there is a lot of shared code in the extended driver and the output plugin, but, there might be less resource being use elsewhere, so it might work.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 04:16 AM   #4
markymark1
markymark1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
If you are running 32 bit calibre try using the 64 bit edition.

Surprised the error message doesn't show bitedness.

BR
Switching to the 64bit client solved the issue, thank you two for the help.
markymark1 is offline   Reply With Quote