Notices

Old 11-14-2023, 09:14 AM   #31
philja
Zealot
philja began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I've updated the Sigil Linux build documentation on github. There are now only two files:

Building_on_Linux.md (Current Qt6-based that strives to provide package-names for both Arch- and Debian-based distros)
Building_on_Linux_old.md (updated Debian-based Qt5 instructions with the Qtsvg module dependency noted)
I just tried to reload the old page to have another look and found a "404 page doesn't exist" message so I guessed something was afoot.

Found your new page and I'll certainly have a go a bit later in the day. Thanks.
philja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2023, 09:30 AM   #32
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by philja View Post
I just tried to reload the old page to have another look and found a "404 page doesn't exist" message so I guessed something was afoot.

Found your new page and I'll certainly have a go a bit later in the day. Thanks.
You can always browse the github tree at any past commit or tag if the old documentation is needed for anything. Nothing's gone forever!

I'm not familiar with the Ubuntu Studio derivative, but if 22.04 uses the Standard Jammy repositories, then it should have access to Qt6.2.4. That should be sufficient to build Sigil 2.0.2 with Qt6, but it might not have use of all of the whistles and bells. Qt6.4 or 6.5 would be better. The default Python 3.10 should be fine.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 11-14-2023 at 09:43 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2023, 01:26 PM   #33
derrickoswald
derrickoswald began at the beginning.

Device: Sigil
svg packages on ubuntu

For what it's worth - that clue (above) to install qt6-svg seems to fix my missing icon problems (all icons on UI main screen were not showing).

Looking up in the Ubuntu package search for qt6 on jammy, shows svg packages: libqt6svg6, libqt6svg6-dev, and libqt6svgwidgets6.

Installing those with:

Code:
sudo apt-get install libqt6svg6 libqt6svg6-dev libqt6svgwidgets6
seemed to work for me (after rebuilding and installing), and I get a 2.0.2 version using Qt 6.2.4 with icons!!!
Yay.

Of course, my path to this state is probably not the straight forward route other experts have taken. I've installed a lot of stuff that isn't needed, I think, trying to get the cmake command happy. Here's the history dump of installs (some don't work):

Code:
 sudo apt-get install libqt6core5compat6-dev
 sudo apt-get install libqt6webenginecore6
 sudo apt-get install libqt6webenginecore6-bin
 sudo apt-get install libqt6webenginecore6-bin
 sudo apt-get install libqt6webenginecore6
 sudo apt-get install libqt6webengine6-data
 sudo apt-get install libqt6webenginequick6
 sudo apt-get install libqt6webenginewidgets6
 sudo apt-get -y install vulkan-tools
 sudo apt-get -y install linguist-qt6
 sudo apt-get -y install linguist-qt6-dev
 sudo apt-get -y install qt6-tools-dev-tools
 sudo apt-get -y install qt6-translations-l10n
 sudo apt-get install linguist-qt6
 sudo apt-get install qt6-tools
 sudo apt-get install linguist-qt6
 sudo apt-get install qt6-tools-dev
 sudo apt-get -y install linguist-qt6
 sudo apt-get -y install liblinguist-qt6
 sudo apt-get install python3-dev python3-pip python3-lxml python3-six python3-css-parser python3-dulwich
 sudo apt-get install python3-tk python3-pyqt6 python3-pyqt6.qtwebengine python3-html5lib python3-regex 3-pillow python3-cssselect python3-chardet
 sudo apt-get install python3-dev
 sudo apt-get install libqt6svg6 libqt6svg6-dev libqt6svgwidgets6
and here's the build bash:
Code:
#!/bin/bash
mkdir --parents ~/code/Sigil/sigil-build
cd ~/code/Sigil/sigil-build
cmake -G "Unix Makefiles" -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/opt/sigil -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release -DQt6_DIR=/usr/lib/qt6 -DTRY_NEWER_FINDPYTHON3=1 ../../Sigil
I'm not sure everything is functioning, because I just got it going, but here we are.
derrickoswald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2023, 01:54 PM   #34
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You should only need the libqt6svg6 to fix the icon issue. And it's only a runtime requirement, so it can even be installed after building Sigil.

You don't need libqt6svg6-dev or libqt6svgwidgets6 to build or run Sigil.

The current Build_on_Linux.md file in the /docs folder on github should now have the complete list of qt6 dependencies needed to build and run Sigil on Debian/Ubuntu.

Code:
sudo apt-get install qt6-webengine-dev qt6-base-dev-tools qt6-tools-dev qt6-tools-dev-tools qt6-5compat-dev libqt6svg6
The above will pull in everything else needed.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 11-14-2023 at 02:50 PM.
Old 11-14-2023, 02:56 PM   #35
derrickoswald
derrickoswald began at the beginning.

Device: Sigil
QtWebEngineWidgets missing

From the instructions on testing the plugin framework, and running the testplugin I get close, but not quite:

Code:

Verify sys.path settings manually
  /opt/sigil/share/sigil/plugin_launchers/python
  /usr/lib/python310.zip
  /usr/lib/python3.10
  /usr/lib/python3.10/lib-dynload
  /home/derrick/.local/lib/python3.10/site-packages
  /usr/local/lib/python3.10/dist-packages
  /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages
  /home/derrick/.local/share/sigil-ebook/sigil/plugins/testplugin

Verifying proper Python packages are available
  Checking GUI modules
    Python Package: PyQt5 (/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/PyQt5/QtWidgets.abi3.so) Found
    Python Package: PyQt5 QtWebEngineWidgets Missing
    Python Package: tkinter (/usr/lib/python3.10/tkinter/__init__.py) Found
  Python Package: PIL (/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/PIL/__init__.py) Found
  Python Package: cssselect (/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/cssselect/__init__.py) Found
  Python Package: css-parser (/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/css_parser/__init__.py) Found
  Python Package: html5lib (/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/html5lib/__init__.py) Found
  Python Package: lxml (/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/lxml/__init__.py) Found
  Python Package: regex (/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/regex/__init__.py) Found
  Python Package: chardet (/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/chardet/__init__.py) Found
  Python Package: six (/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/six.py) Found
  Python Package: dulwich (/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/dulwich/__init__.py) Found
  Python Package: urllib3 (/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/urllib3/__init__.py) Found

Verifying Sigil Python Libraries can be found/loaded
  Sigil Python library: epub_utils Found
  Sigil Python library: quickparser Found
  Sigil Python library: hrefutils Found
  Sigil Python library: compatibility_utils Found
  Sigil Python library: sigil_bs4 Found

Verifying Hunspell Spell Checking
  Hunspell en_US affix file and dictionary Found
  Hunspell shared library Found
  Hunspell spellchecking works True

Verifying Sigil Gumbo Library operation
  Sigil Gumbo BS4 Adapter library Found
  Sigil BS4/Gumbo Parser works True

Verifying selected basic plugin interface elements
  bk.text_iter() works True
  Listing manifested files...
    Text/Section0001.xhtml
    toc.ncx
  bk.manifest_iter() works True
  bk.spine_iter() works True
  bk.other_iter() works True
  reading a non-manifest book file works True
  reading a specific OPF manifest id works True
  writing to a specific OPF manifest id works True
  Launcher Version 20231026
  ePub Version 2.0
  adding your own file to the manifest works True
  basename to id mapping works True
  deleting our added file works True

Failure -  1  Tests of Plugin Operations Failed
It looks like QtWebEngineWidgets is only available in the Qt5 version.
This is after running

Code:
sudo apt-get install python3-pyqtbuild python3-pyqtgraph qt6-webengine-dev
to satisfy the PyQt5 dependency in the test.

Installing qtwebengine5-dev as suggested by the search for WebEngineWidgets did not resolve it.

Perhaps the test needs to be updated to Qt6 as well.

Last edited by derrickoswald; 11-14-2023 at 02:58 PM. Reason: link to ubuntu package search
derrickoswald is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2023, 03:22 PM   #36
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

You seem to be confusing what is needed to build/run Sigil and what is needed to run Python 3rd-party plugins. I wish they were one and the same, but they're not on Linux.

The latest test plugin (testplugin_v020.zip) WILL test to make make sure that all Python plugin requirements are met. Qt5 Sigil uses PyQt5 but Qt6 Sigil will use PySide6. And as noted in the build instructions, neither Debian nor Ubuntu currently provide packages for PySide6. So you will need to install it yourself using pip or something else.

There is no PyQt5 dependency for Sigil built with Qt6 using testplugin_v020.zip.

python3-pyqtbuild and python3-pyqtgraph are not needed for anything Sigil-related. Not sure where you got the idea they might be.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 11-14-2023 at 06:19 PM.
Old 11-14-2023, 05:05 PM   #37
philja
Zealot

Quote:
I'm not familiar with the Ubuntu Studio derivative, but if 22.04 uses the Standard Jammy repositories, then it should have access to Qt6.2.4. That should be sufficient to build Sigil 2.0.2 with Qt6, but it might not have use of all of the whistles and bells. Qt6.4 or 6.5 would be better. The default Python 3.10 should be fine.
UbuntuStudio 22.04.3 LTS is basically a Jammy with additional stuff added and setup relating to audio and video work.

I have all the python3 packages you list and they are at 3.10

I also have the three 3rd party packages you list.

But
Code:
sudo apt-get install qt6-webengine-dev qt6-base-dev-tools qt6-tools-dev qt6-tools-dev-tools qt6-5compat-dev libqt6svg6
This finds me all except the qt6-5compat-dev. And checking in the Muon package manager shows no result for qt6-5compat-dev or anything qt6-5....

What is the role of that package?
Old 11-14-2023, 05:48 PM   #38
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
But
Code:
This finds me all except the qt6-5compat-dev. And checking in the Muon package manager shows no result for qt6-5compat-dev or anything qt6-5....

What is the role of that package?
It's a compatibility module to help developers transition their code from Qt5 to Qt6 more easily.

It's proving rather difficult to find package names that will work with both Debian and Ubuntu they're changing them from version to version it seems!

Try libqt6core5compat6-dev in place of qt6-5compat-dev. It looks like it will pull in everything needed on 22.04.

EDIT: it seems the qt6-5compat-dev package is not available until Ubuntu Lunar. So a combination of qt6-base-dev-tools and libqt6core5compat6-dev should work for both Jammy+ and Debian 12+ (I think).

Last edited by DiapDealer; 11-14-2023 at 06:02 PM.
Old 11-14-2023, 06:11 PM   #39
philja
Zealot

Quote:
It's a compatibility module to help developers transition their code from Qt5 to Qt6 more easily.

It's proving rather difficult to find package names that will work with both Debian and Ubuntu they're changing them from version to version it seems!

Try libqt6core5compat6-dev in place of qt6-5compat-dev. It looks like it will pull in everything needed on 22.04.

EDIT: it seems the qt6-5compat-dev package is not available until Ubuntu Lunar. So a combination of qt6-base-dev-tools and libqt6core5compat6-dev should work for both Jammy+ and Debian 12+ (I think).
Thanks - I now have libqt6core5compat6-dev so looks like I'm ready to try. But I'm driving a bit blind here so one more question.

Bearing in mind that I have Sigil 2.0.2 installed with Qt5, do I have to remove that installation or even some of its packages? Or can I just build Sigil 2.0.2 with Qt6 on top of the Qt5 version?
Old 11-14-2023, 06:44 PM   #40
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Thanks - I now have libqt6core5compat6-dev so looks like I'm ready to try. But I'm driving a bit blind here so one more question.

Bearing in mind that I have Sigil 2.0.2 installed with Qt5, do I have to remove that installation or even some of its packages? Or can I just build Sigil 2.0.2 with Qt6 on top of the Qt5 version?
I see no reason why you can't install over top.
Old 11-15-2023, 12:36 PM   #41
philja
Zealot

My first attempt at building Sigil 2.0.2 with Qt6 has failed at the configuration stage. I tried to use the system libraries for hunspell, pcre2, minizip. The consol command I used was :

Code:
cmake -G "Unix Makefiles" -DUSE_SYSTEM_LIBS=1 -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release ../sigil-src
The libhunspell-dev, libpcre2-dev, libminizip-dev packages are installed on my system.

The consol output shows that ZLIB and MiniZip were found but no mention of hunspell or pcre2. A few lines further down, it indicates cmake was using bundled Hunspell and PCRE2. This, I suppose is not so serious as what follows.

Next failure was: windows.h not found and the CMakeError.log shows that as a fatal error.

A few more lines down, the consol output shows:

Code:
 Looking for C++ include type_traits.h
-- Looking for C++ include type_traits.h - not found
-- Looking for C++ include bits/type_traits.h
-- Looking for C++ include bits/type_traits.h - not found
Again, the CMakeError.log shows these as fatal errors.

Further down, I find:

Code:
Looking for _strtoi64 - not found
this is referred to in CMakeError.log as "undefined reference to `_strtoi64'"

Then the consol output turns red :

Code:
The imported target "Qt6::qwebengine_convert_dict" references the file
     "/usr/lib/qt6/libexec/qwebengine_convert_dict"
  but this file does not exist.
and further:

Code:
 Call Stack (most recent call first):
  /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/cmake/Qt6WebEngineCoreTools/Qt6WebEngineCoreToolsConfig.cmake:47 (include)
  /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/cmake/Qt6WebEngineCore/Qt6WebEngineCoreDependencies.cmake:76 (find_package)
  /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/cmake/Qt6WebEngineCore/Qt6WebEngineCoreConfig.cmake:50 (include)
  /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/cmake/Qt6/Qt6Config.cmake:219 (find_package)
  src/qt6sigil.cmake:27 (find_package)
  src/CMakeLists.txt:685 (include)
and then in orange color:

Code:
CMake Warning at /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/cmake/Qt6/Qt6Config.cmake:219 (find_package):
  Found package configuration file:
    /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/cmake/Qt6WebEngineCore/Qt6WebEngineCoreConfig.cmake

but it set Qt6WebEngineCore_FOUND to FALSE so package "Qt6WebEngineCore" is
  considered to be NOT FOUND.
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  src/qt6sigil.cmake:27 (find_package)
  src/CMakeLists.txt:685 (include)
I guess this last bit about Qt6WebEngineCore says something about the naming conventions. I do have qt6-webengine-dev installed.
Old 11-15-2023, 12:56 PM   #42
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I guess this last bit about Qt6WebEngineCore says something about the naming conventions. I do have qt6-webengine-dev installed.
I don't think so. The repository package names don't really have anything to do the names of the libraries they provide. Those are always consistent.

Give me a chance to parse all the info you provided, but WOW! The bit about not being able to find windows.h on Linux is whopper!

To begin with, the part about using the system libs is mostly for package maintainers. I almost always build the bundled libs when I build Sigil. But if you want -DUSE_SYSTEM_LIBS=1 to really mean anything, you also need to configure with -DSYSTEM_LIBS_REQUIRED=1 (from the advanced section). Othwise Sigil will use it's own bundled versions for any of the three it fails to find on your system. -DSYSTEM_LIBS_REQUIRED=1 causes the build to fail if they're not ALL found on your system.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 11-15-2023 at 01:02 PM.
Old 11-15-2023, 01:00 PM   #43
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Note Qt6 cmake files for specific Qt modules will report Not Found even if they actually exist and are found properly if any of their dependencies are missing.

So my guess is you are missing some dependency of Qt6 QtWebEngine.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 01:08 PM   #44
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Code:
The imported target "Qt6::qwebengine_convert_dict" references the file
     "/usr/lib/qt6/libexec/qwebengine_convert_dict"
  but this file does not exist.
This is a bit of a mess because Sigil doesn't actually need qwebengine_convert_dict, but it seems that something is unnecessarily checking for its presence, so add the qt6-webengine-dev-tools package with apt-get to put it where it expects it to be, I guess.
Old 11-15-2023, 01:08 PM   #45
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
I think that windows.h is in by their minizip headers. We fixed an issue long long ago with that.

I recommend NOT using -DUSE_SYSTEM_LIBS=1 and see if your windows.h missing and other missing header issues go away.

That would just leave the missing QtWebEngine piece to track down.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote