Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-06-2024, 11:22 AM   #1291
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Yes, until you add an entry, the menu will be blank.

If you install NickelMenu with the appropriate exclusion in .kobo/Kobo/Kobo eReader.conf file, the configuration files will not show in Nickel. This is done automatically if you use the install script in the second message in the One-Click Install Packages for KOReader & Plato or you can manually edit the file to add/modify the ExcludeSyncFolders line under the [FeatureSettings] header:

Code:
ExcludeSyncFolders=(\\.(?!kobo|adobe).+|([^.][^/]*/)+\\..+)
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 12:03 PM   #1292
gyrene2083
gyrene2083 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra Colour
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post

If you install NickelMenu with the appropriate exclusion in .kobo/Kobo/Kobo eReader.conf file, the configuration files will not show in Nickel. This is done automatically if you use the install script in the second message in the One-Click Install Packages for KOReader & Plato or you can manually edit the file to add/modify the ExcludeSyncFolders line under the [FeatureSettings] header:

Code:
Thank you for the response that really helped. I do have another question for you or anyone that may know. I know this will give me sudoku

Code:
menu_item : main : games : nickel_extras : sudoku
How would I add solitaire under games, or that isn't possible and I would just need to have two games in the main menu?
gyrene2083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 05:18 PM   #1293
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Quote:
Try admin as the user and password.

That was it. I’m in.

I can now remotely log in and edit my nm config file without getting out of bed. These are the important things in life.
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 10:15 AM   #1294
gyrene2083
gyrene2083 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra Colour
I tried to edit my last post to say I figured it out, but couldn't thanks for the help.

What is the difference between the following

reading_life:reading_life - Activity (with last tab)
reading_life:stats - Activity

I installed them both and they showed the same stats.
gyrene2083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 02:24 PM   #1295
sparajoy
sparajoy will become famous soon enoughsparajoy will become famous soon enoughsparajoy will become famous soon enoughsparajoy will become famous soon enoughsparajoy will become famous soon enoughsparajoy will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Clara 2E, Kobo Clara Colour
Quote:
Originally Posted by gyrene2083 View Post
I tried to edit my last post to say I figured it out, but couldn't thanks for the help.

What is the difference between the following

reading_life:reading_life - Activity (with last tab)
reading_life:stats - Activity

I installed them both and they showed the same stats.
I believe that first option is reference the Reading Life Awards that Kobo has since removed from their firmware. It used to be these little badges that you earned for things like read x number of books, read for x hours, what have you.
sparajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 11:08 PM   #1296
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:

Code:
Ah, many thanks! I just got up the nerve to try and install Nickel Menu and Dropbox on my 2013 Kobo Aura HD. And it was driving me buggy seeing the Nickel Menu config file showing in my Books! So I went searching....

This worked a treat, all is well and Dropbox is connected. Now I need to do it all over again on my Aura One. But not tonight.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 11:34 PM   #1297
Asyd Rayn
Asyd Rayn began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis/Kobo Libra Colour
I'm new to this and have followed the instructions and am using a mac. I've created a "config" document that's blank and have put it in the proper folder but when I click NM on my device i'm getting a configuration error. Totally lost here. Any guidance would be appreciated.
Asyd Rayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 03:36 AM   #1298
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
You can't have a blank config file. You have to add menu entries so NickelMenu has menu items to display. The example config is here:

https://github.com/pgaskin/NickelMen...v0.5.4/res/doc
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 09:25 AM   #1299
Asyd Rayn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
You can't have a blank config file. You have to add menu entries so NickelMenu has menu items to display. The example config is here:

https://github.com/pgaskin/NickelMen...v0.5.4/res/doc
Thanks -- it seems interesting, but this is too advanced for me. I thought it would install and have a basic set of items already configured menus.

I need to uninstall this. Is there an uninstall configuration somewhere I can put in this folder nm folder on my device to get rid of this? I'm not successful with the failsafe method by turning this libra colour off and on within 20 seconds and I am not seeing this "libsm" (or whatever it's called) file it says I can remove anywhere on my device (the instructions should say where one might find this file).

I appreciate the effort that goes into creating these things but I find the instructions are not written for the average person and lots of assumptions are made when providing directions.
Old 05-16-2024, 11:03 AM   #1300
hatuluang
Connoisseur
hatuluang can extract oil from cheesehatuluang can extract oil from cheesehatuluang can extract oil from cheesehatuluang can extract oil from cheesehatuluang can extract oil from cheesehatuluang can extract oil from cheesehatuluang can extract oil from cheesehatuluang can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asyd Rayn View Post
Thanks -- it seems interesting, but this is too advanced for me. I thought it would install and have a basic set of items already configured menus.

I appreciate the effort that goes into creating these things but I find the instructions are not written for the average person and lots of assumptions are made when providing directions.
I make the simple step-by-step to install nickelmenu including the basic set of command/shortcut in r/kobo. you can find it here: https://www.reddit.com/r/kobo/commen...t=share_button

Hope it helps.
hatuluang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 11:19 AM   #1301
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asyd Rayn View Post

I need to uninstall this. Is there an uninstall configuration somewhere I can put in this folder nm folder on my device to get rid of this? I'm not successful with the failsafe method by turning this libra colour off and on within 20 seconds and I am not seeing this "libsm" (or whatever it's called) file it says I can remove anywhere on my device (the instructions should say where one might find this file).

Uninstall is simply done by placing a file named "uninstall" in the .adds/nm/ directory on your device.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 12:12 PM   #1302
Asyd Rayn

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Uninstall is simply done by placing a file named "uninstall" in the .adds/nm/ directory on your device.
I did that and did a reboot and I still have the NM menu item showing on my device. Is there anything in the "file" or am I just placing a simple blank .txt file with the name uninstall in that folder (which by the way is what I've done).
Old 05-16-2024, 12:23 PM   #1303
Asyd Rayn

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
The only other item in the .add/nm folder is a the doc file after the intall
Old 05-16-2024, 12:53 PM   #1304
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
The uninstall file is not a .txt file. There is no file extension. When I tested it, I use a zero-length file.

As to why there is no basic menu? Almost everyone using NickelMenu has their own idea of what options they want.

If you look at the end of the doc file past the line starting "# For example, you might have a configuration file named "mystuff" like:" and then copy paste the next lines down to but not including the line starting "# If there is an error in the configuration,' to a new file, remove the #s from the start of the line and save it as whatever name you care to give it (I used NM_Config), you will have a valid configuration file.

Last edited by DNSB; 05-16-2024 at 12:59 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 01:45 PM   #1305
Asyd Rayn

Quote:
The uninstall file is not a .txt file. There is no file extension. When I tested it, I use a zero-length file.

As to why there is no basic menu? Almost everyone using NickelMenu has their own idea of what options they want.
Thank you, the hitch was the file extension that of course needs management on a mac; once removed the NM vanished.

Sure, I understand everyone has their own ideas about what should be in the menu -- but there are some of us who would be fine with basic things that are plug and play and useful. Those who are proficient can add as they wish and I'm envious of that skill. Nonetheless, what the dev has done is pretty amazing but I'm gonna go without the useful bonus features the nifty app offers. This is my first Kobo and I miss things from the Kindle -- but I'll adapt.

Tags
kobo, launcher, ldpreload, nickel