Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-19-2011, 06:39 PM   #1
shootist
Zealot
shootist can read ebooks with the screen turned offshootist can read ebooks with the screen turned offshootist can read ebooks with the screen turned offshootist can read ebooks with the screen turned offshootist can read ebooks with the screen turned offshootist can read ebooks with the screen turned offshootist can read ebooks with the screen turned offshootist can read ebooks with the screen turned offshootist can read ebooks with the screen turned offshootist can read ebooks with the screen turned offshootist can read ebooks with the screen turned off

Device: nook, prs-650, prs-350, galaxy tab 2
.pdf looks strange on calibre

I have a .pdf book that I tried to convert to epub. When I did the few photos the book has look like negatives and the words have strange characters and breaks. I decided to leave it as pdf, but when I view it in the calibre viewer it has the same defects. It looks fine in acrobat reader and foxit. What gives?
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 07:19 PM   #2
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Calibre's viewer is an epub viewer. It converts any input to epub then displays the epub.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2011, 07:24 PM   #3
shootist
Zealot
shootist can read ebooks with the screen turned offshootist can read ebooks with the screen turned offshootist can read ebooks with the screen turned offshootist can read ebooks with the screen turned offshootist can read ebooks with the screen turned offshootist can read ebooks with the screen turned offshootist can read ebooks with the screen turned offshootist can read ebooks with the screen turned offshootist can read ebooks with the screen turned offshootist can read ebooks with the screen turned offshootist can read ebooks with the screen turned off

Device: nook, prs-650, prs-350, galaxy tab 2
Ok. Hmmmm I wonder why it doesnt like this particular pdf.
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 07:56 PM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by shootist View Post
Ok. Hmmmm I wonder why it doesnt like this particular pdf.
PDFs are a horrible source format to convert to epub. It is not just this PDF it is most PDFs, read here for more info.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 02:05 PM   #5
1611mac
eWanderer
1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iMac,iPad3,iPhone5-Kindle Fire,Touch,PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by shootist View Post
I have a .pdf book that I tried to convert to epub. When I did the few photos the book has look like negatives and the words have strange characters and breaks. I decided to leave it as pdf, but when I view it in the calibre viewer it has the same defects. It looks fine in acrobat reader and foxit. What gives?
I recently converted a PDF that look horrible as an epub. I then tweaked the "Line Un-wrapping" (a PDF Input param when converting) down just a bit and it made all the difference in the world. The resultant epub still had some line break issues but was very satisfactory considering....

So experiment some with the Line Un-wrapping value.... (This is discussed in the link provided in post above.)
1611mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert