Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 11-14-2023, 08:18 AM   #1
hayaku
hayaku began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Question Help—Sigil 2.02 blocking external macros (autohotkey)

Hello all!

Been using and loving Sigil for quite some years now.

I have quite an extensive set of custom AHK (autohotkey) macros which I run through Windows.

These allows me to use all manner of custom characters—for example, using [Ctrl + foo] or [Ctrl + Alt + bar] combinations—which I find extremely useful for things like en-dashes, [–] em-dashes [—], scientific symbols, and other things which I frequently use when I write.

For some reason, his functionality has been completely disabled when I upgraded from Sigil ~1.6 to 2.02 last night.

I have gone into settings and deleted all competing [Ctrl + foo] hotkeys, but it seems that simply having the program open and in focus takes complete control over the [Ctrl] key, in addition to the [Alt] and [Shift] keys. AHK never receives the commands in the first place due to Sigil 2.02.

Any idea what is up with this? Perhaps this is a bug, or a disable-able feature in preferences?

Much thanks!
hayaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2023, 09:37 AM   #2
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
No recent changes here. Sigil does not take charge of any single key.

All set-able shortcut are controlled by Sigil Preferences. Look for something in the assigned Sigil keyboard shortcuts that just uses Ctrl alone and delete that setting.

Or look for something outside Sigil (ie your system level) that is grabbing control of that key.

Perhaps it is Qt6 related?

Last edited by KevinH; 11-14-2023 at 09:39 AM.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2023, 09:42 AM   #3
BeckyEbook
Guru
BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Misc
The only thing I can think of is the checkbox in the keyboard shortcut settings.

But maybe it's something completely different. The relationship of the problem to Qt6 also came to mind.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	altgr.png
Views:	51
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	204693  
BeckyEbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2023, 09:59 AM   #4
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
I looked and Sigil 1.6 is quite old from early 2021. In Sigil version 1.8 (late 2021) we made deadkey and altgr related changes specific to Windows.

Perhaps those are an issue?

The altgr setting can be enabled/disabled in a Preference setting, right?

If they try Sigil 1.8 and it exhibits the same issues as Sigil-2.0.2 then we will know the issue is not Qt6 related as Sigil 1.8 still used Qt5.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2023, 11:00 AM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Hmmm... I'm certainly no expert when it comes to hotkey programs, but I downloaded the latest version of AutoHotKey, created a quick and simple script with one KB shortcut assigned to send some simple text to the open window (Sigil). It seemed to work fine (whether or not Sigil already had the shortcut assigned).

I tried it with both v2.0.10 and v2.1-alpha.1 of AutoHotKey. All on Windows 10 with Sigil 2.0.2

I do not use AltGr so maybe that's the difference?

Last edited by DiapDealer; 11-14-2023 at 11:06 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2023, 11:06 AM   #6
BeckyEbook
Guru
BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Misc
I also installed the AutoHotkey 2.0.10 version and I have no problems with shortcuts Ctrl+Alt+something (AltGr does not matter) and Ctrl+something.
BeckyEbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2023, 11:23 AM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Judging by the amount of time it's taking me to setup the same similar test (with no success yet) with AutoHotKey 1.1.37, maybe that's the problem? Though AutoHotKey 1.1 is deprecated.
Old 11-14-2023, 01:25 PM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

I've since been able to get shortcuts (even ones Sigil already had assigned) to work with Sigil 2.0.2 and the deprecated AHK 1.1.37. So I'm at a loss as to why it won't work for the OP.
Old 11-14-2023, 03:27 PM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Sigil 2.0.2 and AHK 1.1.30.03 are working for me

Didn't know there was an AHK 2. But I can guarantee I won't be bothering myself with it any time soon ==>> https://www.autohotkey.com/docs/v2/v2-changes.htm

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2023, 03:39 PM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Sigil 2.0.2 and AHK 1.1.30.03 are working for me
I knew you were using something for keyboard shortcut scripting, but I couldn't remember if it was AutoHotKey or not.
Old 11-16-2023, 12:55 PM   #11
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Is this the new normal? People ask for help and then never come back? It's getting pretty popular here, and on github.

I know people get busy, but take a moment to pop back and say "I fixed it," or "Thanks for the input, I haven't had time to try any of the suggestions, yet, but I hope to soon". Something. Debugging is hard to do with once-a-week interactions.
Old 11-16-2023, 05:25 PM   #12
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Then there are those who come back and post: "It's OK, I fixed it."

BR
Old 11-16-2023, 06:05 PM   #13
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Going from my personal experience, about 35% of the people posting questions either never log back into MobileRead or do not post a response to the answers or requests for more information. That number has increased over the years.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2023, 07:03 PM   #14
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Is this the new normal? People ask for help and then never come back? It's getting pretty popular here, and on github.
Afterthought: some might be daunted by the number of responses.

Especially those from responders who take not the time to read what the OP posted. Or responses that tell of irrelevances about what they did to solve the same problem on their Atari 40 years ago. Or a 20 line saga that repeats what was posted an hour earlier in 20 words.

BR
Old 11-16-2023, 07:10 PM   #15
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

If you have no tolerance for parsing responses, don't ask the question. I'm just going to stop engaging until such time as a willingness to converse has been established.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 11-16-2023 at 07:14 PM.