Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-28-2023, 06:16 PM   #1
Donaldb
Donaldb began at the beginning.

Device: kindle pw 5 16gb
Exclamation Can PW5 be downgraded to 5.14.2, it came with 5.14.3.0.1.

Does all paper white accept same update bins?
Because this came with 5.14.3.0.1 out of the box iam wondering if this can be downgraded?
Donaldb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2023, 09:25 PM   #2
Donaldb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donaldb View Post
Because this came with 5.14.3.0.1 out of the box iam wondering if this can be downgraded?
For your information, my device is paperwhite 5 16gb which amazon released in September 2022.
Advert
Old 10-28-2023, 09:58 PM   #3
reminon
Enthusiast
reminon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterreminon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterreminon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterreminon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterreminon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterreminon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterreminon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterreminon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterreminon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterreminon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterreminon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kindle Scribe.
Why do you need to downgrade?
reminon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2023, 10:16 PM   #4
Donaldb

Quote:
Originally Posted by reminon View Post
Interface was better on old and better compatability.

My kindle is jailbroen using language break jailbreak by @Marek.
Old 10-29-2023, 01:37 AM   #5
KoKoRoKo
KoKoRoKo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite 5 (11th Gen)
Quote:
I think yes, if you are on fw =<5.16.2.1.1. You can JB, then downgrade then JB again using WatchThis. I suppose that is why you want to downgrade?
KoKoRoKo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2023, 07:03 AM   #6
killerbug
killerbug began at the beginning.

Device: PW5
Quote:
Yes, you can. I was in the exact same situation as you and used this to downgrade. The one in the snapshots thread didn't work for me. (.bin file disappeared after removing USB cable and UYK greyed out).

Quote:
Originally Posted by reminon View Post
The fw>5.14.2 has the annoying 'Cloud not available' nag and on 5.14.3.0.1 it would sometimes freeze to a white screen for me while reading. I had to double restart to fix that. Never experienced that on 5.14.2 on my previous PW5 (had a soft brick while tinkering and got a new replacement from Amazon since it was under warranty).

Last edited by killerbug; 10-29-2023 at 07:05 AM.
killerbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 07:17 AM   #7
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle PW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by killerbug View Post
had a soft brick while tinkering and got a new replacement from Amazon since it was under warranty
Hopefully you'll have better luck with your replacement unit than I had with mine : my replacement unit has ALSO stuck in a bootloop (after about 15 month of using it... the first PW5 bricked itself after only 2 weeks) couple of days ago
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 07:34 AM   #8
killerbug
killerbug began at the beginning.

Device: PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanNS View Post
Hopefully you'll have better luck with your replacement unit than I had with mine : my replacement unit has ALSO stuck in a bootloop (after about 15 month of using it... the first PW5 bricked itself after only 2 weeks) couple of days ago
Well, my previous device was also jailbreaked. And I was actively tinkering with it knowing full well that I could get a replacement if anything were to go wrong.
killerbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 09:45 AM   #9
Marek
Zealot
Marek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4 :(, KT5, PB628, PW5
Quote:
Interface was better on old and better compatability.

My kindle is jailbroen using language break jailbreak by @Marek.
You can downgrade just fine and jailbreak should survive too
Marek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 03:39 PM   #10
Donaldb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marek View Post
You can downgrade just fine and jailbreak should survive too
Thanks for that,
To confirm, this particular Kindle model was released in September 2022 and the older firmware might not have the driver to support any hardware changes made in this version is my doubt.
Old 10-29-2023, 10:16 PM   #11
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
There hasn't been any obvious additions to the lineup during the device's lifecycle, so you *should* be safe, but, yeah, jumping to a version below what it shipped with could still be a concern regardless .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 04:09 AM   #12
Donaldb

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
There hasn't been any obvious additions to the lineup during the device's lifecycle, so you *should* be safe, but, yeah, jumping to a version below what it shipped with could still be a concern regardless .
I've tried but kindle keeps deleting 5.14.2 update after I copy it to root folder.
Old 10-30-2023, 11:52 AM   #13
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
I've tried but kindle keeps deleting 5.14.2 update after I copy it to root folder.
You have to jailbreak before you can downgrade.

In your case I think that means installing 5.16.x where x < 3, then doing the LanguageBreak jailbreak, then downgrade to firmware of choice using the downgrade KUAL extension.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 08:32 PM   #14
Donaldb

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post

In your case I think that means installing 5.16.x where x < 3, then doing the LanguageBreak jailbreak, then downgrade to firmware of choice using the downgrade KUAL extension.
I've already jailbroken, but it still deleting.
Old 10-30-2023, 08:59 PM   #15
Donaldb

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post

May be this particular kindle version maximum possible downgrade is 5.14.3.0.1, I've checked this by updating to 5.16.2.1.1 and then downgrading, which was possible only to 5.14.3.0.1 and not 5.14.2.
So, there's that figured out now?